Question about connections

Author
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm very new to this (using the trial edition, v1.5) and have a question about connections. I would like to connect to different databases (dev, test, prod, etc.) so the connection manager is very nice for this. However, I also would like to a single logon to the database, then use the security module to authenticate users, etc. and NOT have them authenticate directly against SQL Server.

I.e. I would like to use a normal web app like system, the app can connect, via a known, but secure username and password to SQL Server, the users authenticate against a table or Windows (less likely) to get access to the app. I would like to use this in both WinForm and WebForm apps.

I see that the Web sample is using the DataLayer.DataSources.Add, while the WinForms use ConnectionManager.AddRequiredDataSourceItem. What's the difference?

Also, what are your suggestions for storing the connection information (username, password especially) for a WinForm or WebForm app? How to change easily? Any way to allow users to change? (Mainly for testers).

Thanks!

Greg
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
Greg McGuffey - 18 Years Ago
StrataFrame Team - 18 Years Ago
Trent L. Taylor - 18 Years Ago
                         [quote]how do I clear the current settings so the connection manager...
                             OK, thanks for the infor on clearing connections.

One last...
                                 Oh...you can just delete those or change the names to whatever you...
                                     OK, thanks for all the information. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me...
                                         Great :) ! Feel free to post anytime!!!