Deploying a PackageIt file

Author
Vikram Saxena
StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am quite new to DDT so pls pardon my lack of knowledge on DDT. I have made a DDT Package-IT File, but am not able to figure out how to deploy on SQL 2000 database on my client's server using the Package-IT file.  
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
There are three ways to deploy your package.  Below are each of the options.

Option 1
Deploy your package file through the DDT run-time environment.  See the image below for a point of reference.

Option 2
This option is geared more towards installations.  You can programmatically deploy a package using the a class that may look something like this:

Imports MicroFour.StrataFrame.DBEngine.SQL

Public Class SetupMenu

''' <summary>
    ''' Declare the variable with events so that we can capture progress indicators
    ''' </summary>
    ''' <remarks></remarks>
    Private WithEvents _DataDeploy As DatabaseMigrator

''' <summary>
    ''' Deploy the data to the specified server
    ''' </summary>
    ''' <remarks></remarks>
    Private Sub DeployData()
        '-- Create a new migrator instance
        _DataDeploy = New DatabaseMigrator("localhost", False, Me, "sa", "mypassword")

'-- Deploy the structure to the SQL server
        _DataDeploy.DeployMetaData("c:\MyPackageFile.pkg", "")
    End Sub

''' <summary>
    ''' Captures any detailed information about the progress of the deployment
    ''' </summary>
    ''' <param name="e"></param>
    ''' <remarks></remarks>
    Private Sub _DataDeploy_ProgressUpdate(ByVal e As MicroFour.StrataFrame.DBEngine.SQL.SQLManagerEventArgs) Handles _DataDeploy.ProgressUpdate
        Me.ProgressBar.Value = e.ProgressPercent
        Me.lblTitle.Text = e.Title
        Me.lblMessage.Text = e.Message
    End Sub

Private Sub SetupMenu_GotFocus(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.GotFocus
        'WinAPI.SetForegroundWindow(Me.Handle.ToInt32())
        'Me.BringToFront()
        WinAPI.BringWindowToTop(Me.Handle.ToInt32())
    End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        MenuSystem.UDPMenuSession.SendMessage(UDPMessageType.VisualFoxProCommand, Me.Textbox1.Text)

End Sub

End Class

Option 3
This is similar to Option 2, but you do not have to use your own dialogs.  You can use the same dialogs that you see witin the DDT run-time environment.  This is how you would call them.

Dim loDeploy As New MicroFour.StrataFrame.DBEngine.Deployment.MDDeployMain("c:\MyPackage.pkg", "")

loDeploy.ShowDialog()

Vikram Saxena
Vikram Saxena
StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (41 reputation)
Hi,

Thanks. are these options documented in the DDT Help File ? 

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)
At first glance I am not seeing this.  It must have been left out of the compile help file.  We will get this addressed Blush  sorry for any trouble.
Vikram Saxena
Vikram Saxena
Is there any method of deploying on SQL Servers remotely located for web applications. I definitely cant install DDT on the database server.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
That is when you will want to use the Option 2 mentioned above.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...