Authentication Exception

Author
Larry Caylor
Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Any ideas on what is causing the attached exception?

-Larry

Attachments
SFLoginError.png (139 views, 36.00 KB)
Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (902 reputation)

After a little time in debug I’ve found that the problem appears to be caused by Active Directory Services being unable to obtain information on a child domain. This prevents any of the users in my domain from accessing my application. I’m not sure just why AD services can’t obtain the information on the other domain but it could be a domain controller or network problem.  Unfortunately I work in an environment with multiple domains and only have control over the local domain. Having SF security depend on what’s going on in those other domains is not a long term solution. To get around the issue for the moment I’ve modified Login.vb as listed below to skip any child domains causing problems. Also the domain structure at the County doesn’t go beyond the first child so I left out the recursive step. At a minimum I’d like to see something like this added to the framework. However an even better solution would be to add the capability to configure what domains should be searched.

-Larry

''' <summary>

''' Recursive method used to collect child domains

''' </summary>

''' <param name="ParentDomain"></param>

''' <param name="List"></param>

''' <remarks></remarks>

Private Shared Sub AddChildDomainsToList(ByVal ParentDomain As Domain, ByVal List As List(Of String))

'-- Establish locals

'Dim loChild As Domain

'-- Cycle through the children

'—Added code

For i As Integer = 0 To ParentDomain.Children.Count - 1

Try

List.Add(ParentDomain.Children.Item(i).Name)

Catch ex As Exception

Continue For

End Try

Next

'—Original code

'For Each loChild In ParentDomain.Children

'    '-- Add to list

'    List.Add(loChild.Name)

'    '-- Recursively call child's children

'    AddChildDomainsToList(loChild, List)

'Next

End Sub

StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Thanks for the heads up on that, Larry.  I'll test that on our network with some of the child domain controlers down and come up with a solid fix.
Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
We're you guys able to reproduce this? The same issue prevented users from logging into an application for a couple of hours yesterday.

-Larry

Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
I should add that it was an application where I didn't modify the framework to skip a domain if it couldn't be reached.
Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
This issue still exists in v 1.61. Any chance of getting a fix in 1.62?

_larry

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...