Deploying Default Data with DDT

Author
Lenard Dean
StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Trent,

I have a followup question to your last email to me.  Regarding your comment:

There are three different options of how data is deployed into the database.  We have this same need within our medical system.  For example, we have CPT Codes, Diagnosis Codes, Insurance Carriers, etc.  that have this same scenario.  You will want to use the Ignore or Merge options with the deployment data.

I don't think those options will work as the data should only be deployed at the time the database is created.  I can't use "Ignore" because the data might already exist (added by the user) under a different data key.  I have many tables in the application which need to be preset with some reference data....but only once.  Later, the user can add or delete the data according to their needs.

--Lenard

Lenard Dean
Lenard Dean
StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (11 reputation)
So, Trent.....I take it that I won't be able to specify certain static data to be deployed only when new databases are created, correct?

Another question....is it possible to deploy a database to the same server using a different DB name and login creditentials? 

Thanks.

--Lenard

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Then you will probably want to create your own data installer (very easy to do).  You can then manage the data install however you would like.  You can see a sample of this by downloading the samples here: http://forum.strataframe.net/Forum17-1.aspx .  If you are VB.NET then download the Database Installer Sample topic.  Otherwise download the CSharp Samples and it will be in there as well.

Another question....is it possible to deploy a database to the same server using a different DB name and login creditentials? 

Yes.  This is a feature that has been recently added.  Make sure you download the latest version of the framework from yout "My Account" are and even when deploying from within the designer you now have the ability to change the database name at the time od deployment.

Lenard Dean
Lenard Dean
Hi Trent,

Are there any plans to add the ability to do it within DDT (instead of doing it via a separate installer)?  I can't be the only one with this requirement.  It sure would be a nice enhancement.  Smile

Thanks.

--Lenard

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Are there any plans to add the ability to do it within DDT (instead of doing it via a separate installer)? 

You can do it through the designer.  You were making references to deployment and I assumed you were referring to your installation.  You have control over this through the DDT designer as well.  You do not have to deploy the data and can in fact choose which data items get deployed.  Also, you can change the database name dynamically when deploying as well.  You will have to have the most recent update in order to do this, but you this ability already exists within the designer.  In fact, you can use the same deployment forms used within the designer programmatically.  This is one of the samples I mentioned earlier. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...