NullReferenceException while deploying

Author
GRocchi
StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Deplying a DB to an SQL Server 2000 DB called SPS, I receive some errors and an Application Exception that stops the deploy process.

This leaves the DB in un unstable status and I didn’t recover it yet.

The deploy window showing error and the package that raises it are attached to this post

Gianpaolo Rocchi

Gianpaolo Rocchi
Attachments
SPS DB.pkg (110 views, 28.00 KB)
DDT.JPG (113 views, 94.00 KB)
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
This has been fixed.  We will post the updated assembly here in this post in later today or early tomorrow. 
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Here's the DDT exe that has the posted fix.  The sprocs that have already been imported will need to be manually modified.  The problem is that when we package up the sprocs for deployment, we add the whole IF EXISTS... DROP PROCEDURE... to the top of the sproc to replace it in the database.  However, when you import from a package file, that code does not get removed from the sproc before being imported.  So, for each sproc in your imported profile, you will need to manually remove the IF EXISTS and everything up to the declaration of your parameters (or the AS if you don't have any parameters) in each of the imported sprocs. 

In otherwords, this fix will fix the import process, but you'll still have to clean up the data that was already imported.

Attachments
DatabaseDTK.zip (106 views, 1.00 MB)
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
BTW, that needs to be copied to the location where you installed the StrataFrame applications.  Generally C:\Program Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame, I think, but I'm not positive BigGrin
GRocchi
GRocchi
StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (20 reputation)
Ben,

this doesn't seem to solve the NullReferenceException tha DDT raises while ensuring indexes.

Have you tried to deploy attached to the first post?

Gianpaolo

Gianpaolo Rocchi

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
I doesn't look like the NullReferenceException is an issue with the DDT itself, it looks to be more of an environment issue.  I have run and re-run your package file over and over again and it deploys perfectly.

The first thing I would try is to deploy to another server to see if you get the same results.  Also, if you have a SQL Server 2005 instance see if it deploys to that server and if this is a SQL Server 2000 problem.

GRocchi
GRocchi
Ok Taylor,

I mailed you credential to test the package against the database tha we are deploying to.

We have deployed the same package (with less tables or sprocs) many times before having erros. Maybe could be useful to dig deeper in the problem, or maybe adding some more information in the log. Actually I don't know which operation raises the error. I only know the last successfully executed task.

I am trying to deploy to a SQL 2005 EXPRESS and I still get same exception.

Tomorrow this project will have been in stand by for a week. I hope you help us to solve this problem.

Gianpaolo

Gianpaolo Rocchi

StrataFrame Team
S
Sorry, Gianpaolo, could you re-email the credentials and send them to me as well?  We have been having some mail server issues of late where our virus software on the server looses the transport connection to Exchange and drops the messages, hence we loose all external email.  I think we got the server back up right now, so if you resend it, I'll take a look at it.
GRocchi
GRocchi
Hi Ben, are you going through the problem with the DDT?

Gianpaolo Rocchi
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Ben had sent you an email asking what version of the WIndows OS you are running (language) as well as Visual Studio and SQL Server.  We had some mail server trouble last week, which has been resolved, and may have been lost in the mix. 

We have deployed your package file over and over again without error, so there must be something regarding the OS language install.  We are going to setup a Virtual machine with the same OS, Visual Studio, and SQL Server versions as you so we can see what is failing. 

I am sure that you noticed that we deployed to your server without error.  You can email me, send me a private message, or post this information (if you are comfortable) on the forum so we can setup your environment on our side.  Thanks!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...