Clarification of which MAC address, and about domain for ES 2 CAL SDK license

Clarification of which MAC address, and about domain for ES 2 CAL SDK...
Author
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm about to install ES and give it a try. I'm hopeful this will solve a lot of issues. However, I have some questions! Hehe

1. The MAC address is for which nic specifically. I.e. The computer I'm going to use it on has two nics and it sits behind a firewall, so there is also the firewall nic that the rest of the world interacts with. Which one?

2. So, the domain required is just the domain right (or the computer name or an IP), not the full path to were ES is installed, right? I.e. I install it at www.myapp.com/tools/es, then the domain I need is www.myapp.com, right?

3. I might have to install ES to a temporary server, then move it to another one (dedicated just to my app). How big of a pain is it going to be to invalidate the old license file and get a new license file? (I'm trying to just get the decidated machine now, but...)

Thanks!
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
The MAC address is for which nic specifically. I.e. The computer I'm going to use it on has two nics and it sits behind a firewall, so there is also the firewall nic that the rest of the world interacts with. Which one?

No.  Just one of the NICs on the computer you are installing ES.

So, the domain required is just the domain right (or the computer name or an IP), not the full path to were ES is installed, right? I.e. I install it at www.myapp.com/tools/es, then the domain I need is www.myapp.com, right?

Yes, as specified in the documentation, this is the host name under which the ES is installed and will be reached.  For example, we use essample.strataframe.net for our ES sample that comes with the framework.

I might have to install ES to a temporary server, then move it to another one (dedicated just to my app). How big of a pain is it going to be to invalidate the old license file and get a new license file? (I'm trying to just get the decidated machine now, but...)

You will have to contact us when you go to move the license from one machine to another.  We do not allow de-activations like in the framework for a number of reasons.  It is just a matter of us reseting your account when you move so you can re-activate on the new machine.  You activate online through the My Account area and download the license file as opposed to a live activation client.

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm on the phone with my network engineer...he's setting up my dedicated test server w00t

I will hopefully get this thing up today!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...