Stand alone install?

Author
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I don't see the DDT standalone install under my download section, where can I get it please? I need to install DDT at a customer site that does not have Visual Studio installed to do a deployment of a database today.

Thanks.

Keith Chisarik
Ben Hayat
Ben Hayat
Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Keith;

That's a good point and I had thought about it, but I'm not sure we are allowed to install DDT at customer site. I "think" it's meant to be used in your system to create a deployment/installation package.

However, I can see the need [for myself soon], to install DDT on a tester site, in order to make changes to database.

Let's hear it from the boys!

..ßen
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.5K reputation)
I know it is "allowed" because Ben said it was OK yesterday Smile

I would still like to be able to have access to standalone DDT install BUT, not having it available nudged me to take the 10 minutes it took to include package deployment as a menu option in my application.

All I added was a menu item with the following code (and added a PW to my package file to keep silly customers out)

'-- Establish Locals

Dim appPath As String

appPath = System.Windows.Forms.Application.StartupPath

MsgBox("apppath")

Dim lcPath As String = AddBS(appPath) & "metadata"

Dim loDeploy As MicroFour.StrataFrame.DBEngine.Deployment.MDDeployMain

'-- Create the deployment form

loDeploy = New MicroFour.StrataFrame.DBEngine.Deployment.MDDeployMain(lcPath & "la_rpm_.scan_db.pkg", "")

loDeploy.ShowDialog()

loDeploy.Close()

loDeploy.Dispose()

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
gotta love cut and paste from the sample application Cool

Keith Chisarik
Ben Hayat
Ben Hayat
Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (508 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I know it is "allowed" because Ben said it was OK yesterday

I didn't say that yesterday...BigGrin (j/k) I know which Ben you're talking about. But if that's the case, I think we should get an stand alone installation right from the web site.

SF, can we please...?

..ßen
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
It used to be there, of that I am sure.

Either they bundled it in with the new install only (and I don't know how to install JUST the DDT) or it is missing.

I guess we shall see when the sun rises in Texas Smile

Keith Chisarik
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Keith,

We no longer provide the DDT stand alone install as predominantly every one of our users were developers using the DDT over SQL administrators.  So it was axed since it was just one more installation to maintain.  As it sounds like you have already learned, it is very easy to create a .NET program to deploy your packages and is the "proper" way to deploy a database in the field Smile  This is why we provided the Database Deployment sample...which you found...and made it your own BigGrin

Just to explain a bit, the DDT stand alone install was NEVER designed with deployment in the field in mind.  That is why there is the DatabaseMigrator class.  If you think about it, this is exactly how we install the StrataFrame databases during an installation and this is how you should deploy to your customers.  That is why we provided the sample so you could see your options on how to do this.

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
OK. Like I said earlier this week "you cant fight the man".

I will miss is very much though, for making on site adjustments at my clients, now I will have to buy a real laptop I guess that will run VS2005/SF/DDT to accomplish this Sad

Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Sorry if I misspoke Keith... I thought your deployment scenario was that you were going to have the DDT installed on your computer and with remote access to the SQL Servers through TCP 1433 you would deploy from your DDT to their SQL Servers.  Each install of the DDT takes a license.  You can deploy through the MicroFour StrataFrame DBEngine.dll royalty free, but the DDT can't be deployed without a license.

Incidentally, the deployment dialogs within the DDT are included in the DBEngine.dll so you don't even have to write a UI... just a program that will call the MDDeployMain will get you there.

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
License are "per developer" though right?

If I decide I want to deactivate my license on my desktop to take DDT to a client site (or install to a "developer box" on site, that is OK right, so long I I deactivate when I am done?

My thought of a developer license is that so long as it is me doing it, I can do what I want, where I want?

You licensing model really doesn't allow for any exploit, but I still like to do things "by the book" if I have misinterpreted anything, please let me know.

Keith Chisarik
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...