SORT the Binding Fields!

Author
Andria Jensen
StrataFrame User (382 reputation)StrataFrame User (382 reputation)StrataFrame User (382 reputation)StrataFrame User (382 reputation)StrataFrame User (382 reputation)StrataFrame User (382 reputation)StrataFrame User (382 reputation)StrataFrame User (382 reputation)StrataFrame User (382 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Please please please....can you guys put in a sort for the Binding Fields?  They currently come into the BO Mapper in the order they are in the db, and you can't sort by name.  Also, when setting the BindingField property on a control, they are in that same order.  This makes it extremely tedious to scroll through 50 fields in no particular order looking for the one you want.  If you could simply alphabetize these fields in the mapper and also in the BindingField dropdown it would be a huge help!  Thanks!
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I certainly agree with that... Just added it to the ToDo list.
Ben Dornis
Ben Dornis
StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)
Not to shoot down the idea but this will be an option right? I know here that database order is easier to go by since we order our fields into logical groups...
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
I'm going to have to make the request to make this optional too. I'm going crazy trying to find fields now, because like Ben, my fields are logically grouped and I'm real familiar with the db order. I didn't realize how much until this new fix was implemented! Crazy

I'd suggest that for a quick fix, allow the BO Mapper to return fields in db order, with sorting easily done with a click on the header. If after a sort, if the developer wanted the order to revert back to db order, they could just click off the BO, then back on. As for binding field order, ideally, there would be a preference to sort or not on the binding fields.

Thanks!
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
We can add another preference in the next update.  It drove me crazy at first too, but once I got used to it I liked it much better since you can rely on the custom properties, etc. being in alphabetical order.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Cool thanks!
Ben Dornis
Ben Dornis
StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (40 reputation)
I noticed the ordering has been updated to alphabetical but I don't see an option anywhere to keep db order. Is there an option that I am not seeing or is this the new way the dialogs will continue to order the fields? If so I think you should really consider an option for those of us who have things in the order we want them.
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Hi Ben.

Have a look at your Solution Preferences:

Ben Dornis
Ben Dornis
I have version 1.6.5 and there is no option for sorting alphabetically. Is this in a future release?
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
It is in the 1.6.6 beta.  You can get it here: http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic15687-22-1.aspx
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...