Field/column type in DDT

Author
Ben Hayat
StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It would be a great help if in another screen, we can create a list of "Field/column Types" with their name, data type, size and picture(mask). i.e., SS#, Address, Phone # and etc.

Then when creating table structure, we would have a drop down for "field type" and we could select/point to any of of those predefined types. It's important that DDT, "Points" to the other lookup table rather copy that into this table. This way, if I want to change my address from 30 Char to 40, I'd change that in field type table and do full rebuild of my BOs and redeploy the files. But at least, I don't have to go to every address and change the size.

What do you think guys?

..ßen
Ben Hayat
Ben Hayat
StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)
Any response from the big boys? Smile

..ßen
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I think it is a good idea but there are quite a few enhancements that I think would take precedence at the moment.  We can definitely add this to the list and consider it but I know that it won't be anytime soon as some of this falls more into the data-driven masking thing which we have discussed on other threads.  But as for the column type and size I think it would be helpful. 
Ben Hayat
Ben Hayat
Hey Trent, Good morning;

But as for the column type and size I think it would be helpful.
I didn't want to get into a huge change, but something small and simple as an add-on.

Here is what I was thinking. We can create a series of pre-defined fields types with their size and type. Then when adding columns in DDT, the section where you have "Data type", we could have that expanded as two sections: a) "Std type", which what it is now, developer picks the type, size. Or "Custom Type", where the developer gets a drop down of the predefined types and he selects one. It will point to the other table and show the type and size. Then at the time of "BO mapping", the mapper would get it's type and size from the "Field type" table for it's purpose.

I think this would save lots of time and helps to be consistent!

Thanks!

..ßen
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...