Problem with Version 1.6.1

Author
Ben Hayat
StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
To SF Team:

I started to change my VarChar to NVarChar and noticed a problem. First SF, changes the field to 50, which needs to be reentered again (Can we just enter our own column size without default). But the worst part comes after. When you move to the next field, the 50 keeps overwriting the next field size. This is trouble for anyone doesn't notice it.

Could we please get a fix to this soon? Thanks!

..ßen
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
First SF, changes the field to 50, which needs to be reentered again (Can we just enter our own column size without default).

This is already on the enhancement list....in fact, I think you have already made this request before.

50 keeps overwriting the next field size. This is trouble for anyone doesn't notice it.

I am not exactly sure what you mean, but I just brought up a table that had 10 VarChars and changed them all to NVarChar without any issue.  You may need to elaborate as to what you are referring to.  Thanks.

Ben Hayat
Ben Hayat
StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)
I am not exactly sure what you mean, but I just brought up a table that had 10 VarChars and changed them all to NVarChar without any issue. You may need to elaborate as to what you are referring to. Thanks.

Sure! Go to a field that is VarChar and then on the drop down box type "N" twice to bring up the NVarChar option.

Then type, say "40".

Now on the left side, on the list of fields, click on the next field (be sure the next field is also a Char),

Now here is the problem: type N twice again (to bring up NVarChar), and now the 50 is automatically overwrites the existing field size.

Let me know if you can duplicate it!

..ßen
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Yes, this is not a bug, but rather by design.  We already have an enhancement request that will not change the field size when changing within a legal or like type.  For example, changing from VarChar to NVarChar would leave the size alone.  So this is already on the books for a change.
Ben Hayat
Ben Hayat
We already have an enhancement request that will not change the field size when changing within a legal or like type. For example, changing from VarChar to NVarChar would leave the size alone

Yes, this is somewhat annoying the way it changes existing fields once you use NVarChar, it automatically changes the NEXT field to 50 as soon as you land on it. Please have it fixed for the final version of 1.6.1. Thanks!

..ßen
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...