DDT Deployment and Database Logfiles

Author
Robin J Giltner
StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am trying to figure out how to setup the options for the database logfile.  Our DDT package is getting deployed to an SQL 2005 Express Server, and everytime it gets deployed, the database_log.ldf is always set to initial of 2mb restricted growth to something like 2tb, I'm thinking this might be a bit high. 

Ideally I'm wanting to completely remove the logfile from the databse as it is using simple recovery model, the logfile isn't necessary, but I can't figure out how to tell Sql or the Database being deployed to ditch the ldf.  So now I am trying to figure out how to set the logfile to only be 5mb or something else small, and not to grow, basically to just sit there and shutup.

I've been looking through properties on the SqlExpress server Im working with, as well as adding the database_log file to the Filegroups in the DDT, but it never seems to have the same options I set when creating the File.

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Robin Giltner

StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (4.1K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
You cannot make a log file part of a file group.  However, you can run a script on the DB after it is created to set the log file's max size to something like 10MB.  Or disable the auto-growth altogether.  I'm not sure what the command is to do this, but if you check the database's properties in SSMS and check the files, you can see that you can turn off auto-growth on the log files. 

As far as I know, you have to have a log file.  I've never personally heard of someone disabling it completely (though I haven't googled "disable sql server log file", so it just might be possible.  Most likely, it will be so specific that you'll need to run a script after the DDT has finished.  Not necessarily a complete script, but a command as ExecuteNonQuery should do it.

Robin J Giltner
Robin J Giltner
StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)StrataFrame User (125 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks Ben.  That's what I needed to know.

Robin Giltner

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...