Make installing the sample databases optional

Author
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Please.

It took 45 minutes to install at a customers site yesterday. Thanks.

Keith Chisarik
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Already done in the next update. Wink
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
It looks like you have the option to do nothing with the databases in 1.6.1.

Would it be possible to update/install the Strataframe database but not install the sample databases during the install the next go around?

Thanks for considering.

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
So I see you kept the same DLL assembly version Smile which is great.

When do I need to update the DLL's on a client machine? Anytime a new EXE is compiled using 1.6.1 in development?

What if I don't use any of the new features in an update? Should i still update my DLL's?

Also how would I know that I indeed have the 1.6.1 DLL's in the GAC/app directory since they are versioned as 1.6.0 ?

Thanks

Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Any time you give a new EXE to a client, you should also include the SF DLLs, even if the version did not change.  Mainly because you might get MissingMethodExceptions or TypeLoaderExceptions.  Always include the exact DLLs that you referenced when you built your EXE, because your EXE stores meta-data about the types and methods that it references from other DLLs.  If that meta-data does not match at runtime, you get the pretty, red error window Wink
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
OK, how can I confirm that I have the 1.6.1 DLL's installed since they say 1.6.0?

Keith Chisarik
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
If you pull the DLLs from the C:\Program Files\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame folder, you will always have the most recent assemblies.  You could also pull them from the C:\Program FIles\MicroFour\StrataFrame\Assemblies folder as well which are the compiled assemblies that we use when installing StrataFrame to place in your GAC.  Either of these file locations would be safe and you would know you have the most recent.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...