How do I filter a business object by a custom property?

Author
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When I attempt to filter a BO on a custom property, the debugger tells that the specified column does not exist.  It is true that it cannot be found in the DB, but it is on the BO.  Is there a trick to filtering on a custom property?

Thanks,
Bill

Replies
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
With the textboxes, the values are showing up properly as I navigate through the BO.

The grid has a BBS datasource that points to the exact same BO.  All of the fields in the grid are blank.

(preparing to look for a towel to throw in)

Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the input.  The only real difference is that my properties are read-only; therefore, no set portion.  I have done exactly what you did...except I did not put the add column code in both methods of the BO (initialize and refilled).  I will try that.

Bill

Paul Chase
Paul Chase
Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)
That is good, if it work's without the BBS then you know it is a BBS issue and not a business object issue.

What happens when you use a BBS is that it creates a new instance of the busines object for every row. However it does not carry over any custom properties etc that are to the new instance.for instance if you have a property called foo in you business object and its value has been set to "Something" what the business binding source create a new instance of the Bo for that row the property foo's value with be nothing.

If that is what is happening then you can fix it by creating a BBS that is customized to your business object type. If you rthink this is where your problem is i can send you a copy of one I modified.

Paul

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
Bill Cunnien - 16 Years Ago
Trent L. Taylor - 16 Years Ago
Greg McGuffey - 16 Years Ago
                         A custom property shows up in the field list when creating a browse...
Peter Jones - 16 Years Ago
                 Guys, can I do this? foreach ( DataRow dr in this...
Peter Jones - 16 Years Ago
Charles R Hankey - 16 Years Ago
                         [quote]Thanks for pulling out the French. English just wasn't getting...
                         Thanks, Trent! Man, I am getting tired...past midnight here. Still...
                             I added the code below into the CurrentDataTableRefilled method:...
                                 If I put a break on the first line of the code in the custom property,...
                                     Well, you need to have data in the colReqQty for the filter to work,...
                                         The fire is already crackling loudly under my feet. I'll go through...
                                         Fascinating. Bewildering. Frustrating. There are three custom...
                                             Some more thoughts (do I smell something burning?)....:P
                                                 Bill, I think that you are trying to make this too complicated. I...
                                                     One other point that I saw in regards to your grid...if you do not...
                                                 Here is my actual custom property code. Please criticize at will. I...
                                                     Hey Bill. Just in case it might help you see what Trent told you about...
Ivan George Borges - 16 Years Ago
                                                     Bill,

You might try doing something real simply like just...
                                                         Paul: I have a very similar setup on my InvoiceBO with the...
                                                             BILL, if you would read my previous post, there is ONLY one...
                                                                 Also, if you read Ivan's post, he has posted some code that shows an...
                                                                     [quote][b]Trent L. Taylor (06/26/2008)[/b][hr]Also, if you read Ivan's...
                                                                         If your customer property work's fine with textbox's but not with a...
Paul Chase - 16 Years Ago
                                                                             [quote][b]Paul Chase (06/26/2008)[/b][hr]If your customer property...
                                                                         Hey Bill. Don't even know wether this would make a difference or not,...
                                                                             Thanks for reviewing the code, Ivan. Yup, just left it out, since I am...
                                                                                 I thought I would try to wrap up this thread with a play-by-play of...
                                                                                     Glad you got it going, Bill! ;) [quote]There are a couple of...
                                                                                         Since the form's purpose is to display information only, I set the...
                                                                 The threecolumns (which areblank)are dragged from the available...
                                                 Bill, Try taking the business binding source out of the equation,...
                                                     With the textboxes, the values are showing up properlyas I navigate...
                                                         Hi Ivan, Thanks for the input. The only real difference is that my...
                                                             That is good, if it work's without the BBS then you know it is a BBS...