How do I filter a business object by a custom property?

Author
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When I attempt to filter a BO on a custom property, the debugger tells that the specified column does not exist.  It is true that it cannot be found in the DB, but it is on the BO.  Is there a trick to filtering on a custom property?

Thanks,
Bill

Replies
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Bill,

You might try doing something real simply like just returning a constant, bypassing all the code in you properties to see if that works. i.e.

public decimal spxSalesOrderQty

{

get

{

// just skip the rest for now

return 1;

decimal mSOQty = 0;

...rest of code untouched

}

}

If this works, then it has something to do with the property code. If it doesn't, then is has to do with the properties themselves or how the grid is using those properties.
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Paul:  I have a very similar setup on my InvoiceBO with the [invoicetotal] field.  It is a custom property and displays nicely on a grid via a BBS.  I am mimicking much of what I did there within this current BO.

Greg:  I returned only a constant and the value still are not showing up in the grid.  Disturbing.  For some reason, as Paul is alluding to, the BBS is not picking up these values and passing them to the grid.

Guys...thanks for all of the help.  I am hitting the 24 hour mark on this current problem.  Hopefully, it will get resolved soon. 

Btw, I have eliminated any column adding and filtering options...I need to get the data flowing first to the grid.  I will go from there once that is back in business.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
BILL, if you would read my previous post, there is ONLY one reason it would not show up in a grid through a BBS.  You are missing a property descriptor for the custom property...period!

You may be dealing with post and information overload, but this is not an overly complicated process or problem...when I run into something like this it is generally due to frustration and dealing with the same problem over a period of time.  There is a lot of good information in this thread...but first things first, I had posted explaining how to ensure the column always exists within the CurrentDataTable.  Secondly, I have told you the one and only reason why a custom property would not be visible through the BBS.  Please check and refer to these two points and I am sure that you will see where your problem is.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Also, if you read Ivan's post, he has posted some code that shows an example of how to setup the basic structure of this custom property.  If you backup and start with his code, you are going to be a long way down the road.
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
Trent L. Taylor (06/26/2008)
Also, if you read Ivan's post, he has posted some code that shows an example of how to setup the basic structure of this custom property.  If you backup and start with his code, you are going to be a long way down the road.

Were you able to review the code that I posted?  Other than the initialize and refilled code, I didn't think I was that far off.  Maybe I am.

At this point, I am just wanting a simple value to show up in the grid from a custom property.  Not even worried about filtering for now.

Paul Chase
Paul Chase
Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (542 reputation)
If your customer property work's fine with textbox's but not with a BBS then what does that tell you?
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
Paul Chase (06/26/2008)
If your customer property work's fine with textbox's but not with a BBS then what does that tell you?

I am focusing on the BBS, as mentioned in an earlier post (following Greg's suggestion to return a constant).  My biggest issue is why the code works for one grid and not another.  Both have BOs with custom properties flowing through a BBS to the grid.

I'll continue to grind it out on my own.  Apparently, I have worn y'all out with this one. 

Sorry about that,
Bill

Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Hey Bill.

Don't even know wether this would make a difference or not, but had a look at your code and couldn't see the "OnSalesOrder" property defined (which you create a Descriptor for)... I guess you just didn't post it, is that so?

Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
Thanks for reviewing the code, Ivan.  Yup, just left it out, since I am replacing it with the newer properties that I shared with you.
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
I thought I would try to wrap up this thread with a play-by-play of what I did to solve the problem.  Thanks everyone for all of the help!

1)  Added code to the CurrentDataTableInitialized and CurrentDataTableRefilled (per Trent and Ivan)

if (CurrentDataTable.Columns["spxInventoryQty"] == null) { CurrentDataTable.Columns.Add(new DataColumn("spxInventoryQty", typeof(decimal))); }

2)  Altered the custom property to a basic structure (no reference to the new column)

[<snipped>]
public decimal InventoryQty
{

get

{

decimal mInvQty = 0;

// calculate the amount on hand (pending)

mInvQty = this.onhandqty; // use the invalid value for now (for testing)

return mInvQty;
    }
}

3)  Filled the BO that applies a similar filter to what I wanted in the BO (removed that part of the problem entirely)

4)  Set all new data column values to the existing value of the custom property (note: using the various code supplied in this thread, the best I could do was fill the first row with data from the custom properties...the rows' column data mostly stayed empty)

private void SetColumnValues()
{

foreach (PartsBO mBO in partsBO1.GetEnumerable())
    {
        partsBO1.CurrentDataTable.Rows[partsBO1.CurrentRowIndex][
"spxInventoryQty"] = partsBO1.InventoryQty;
    }
}

5)  Create a dataset from the CurrentDataTable(s) to be the data source for the DevEx Grid (necessary for the master/detail gridviews, BBS bypassed)

DataSet ds = new DataSet();
ds.Tables.Add(partsBO1.CurrentDataTable);
ds.Tables.Add(salesOrderDetailsBO1.CurrentDataTable);
ds.Relations.Add(
"SalesOrders", ds.Tables[0].Columns["partindex"], ds.Tables[1].Columns["partindex"], false);
PartsGridControl.DataSource = ds.Tables[0];
PartsGridControl.LevelTree.Nodes.Add(
"SalesOrders", SalesOrderView);
PartsGridControl.RefreshDataSource();

There are a couple of outstanding issues...the main one is that once I set a column's value in the CurrentDataTable the row is now dirty and the BO wants to save whenever I exit the window.  I will do some searching on how to prevent saves in this situation.  I am sure it has been covered in the docs or other forum entries.  The secondary one is that the lookup data in the related sales order grid (e.g. customer name, unit description, etc.) is always empty.  Since this is new water for me, I will do my due diligence and research the DevEx grid more throroughly and come up with a solution.

Thanks, again, for everyone's help!  Naturally, if anyone sees something that may help me improve things, feel free to let me know.

Have a great day!
Bill

Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.9K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Glad you got it going, Bill! Wink

There are a couple of outstanding issues...the main one is that once I set a column's value in the CurrentDataTable the row is now dirty and the BO wants to save whenever I exit the window.

Not sure this is the recommended way, I'm sure you will be adviced against it if not. Have you tryed issuing a SAVE right after you modifiy all your custom field values? This is what I'm doing, anyway! Smile

As this column is not part of your table, nothing will happen to it, I suppose.

Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
Since the form's purpose is to display information only, I set the AutoShowSaveChangesMessage on the maintenance form to 'false.'  That took care of it.
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien

The three columns (which are blank) are dragged from the available columns in the BBS to the layout of the grid.  All three are read-only custom properties that return a constant (3, 2, 1, respectively; no complex logic, at all, per Greg).   I have done nothing else.

You can see from my attached code earlier that I indeed have the proper ReflectionPropertyDescriptors set for each custom property.  Otherwise, these properties wouldn't even be seen by the grid design tool via the BBS.

I'll re-re-re-read everything, Trent.  I am not ignoring anyone's counsel.  I have acted on every part.

(I haven't found any towels, yet)
Bill

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
Bill Cunnien - 16 Years Ago
Trent L. Taylor - 16 Years Ago
Greg McGuffey - 16 Years Ago
                         A custom property shows up in the field list when creating a browse...
Peter Jones - 16 Years Ago
                 Guys, can I do this? foreach ( DataRow dr in this...
Peter Jones - 16 Years Ago
Charles R Hankey - 16 Years Ago
                         [quote]Thanks for pulling out the French. English just wasn't getting...
                         Thanks, Trent! Man, I am getting tired...past midnight here. Still...
                             I added the code below into the CurrentDataTableRefilled method:...
                                 If I put a break on the first line of the code in the custom property,...
                                     Well, you need to have data in the colReqQty for the filter to work,...
                                         The fire is already crackling loudly under my feet. I'll go through...
                                         Fascinating. Bewildering. Frustrating. There are three custom...
                                             Some more thoughts (do I smell something burning?)....:P
                                                 Bill, I think that you are trying to make this too complicated. I...
                                                     One other point that I saw in regards to your grid...if you do not...
                                                 Here is my actual custom property code. Please criticize at will. I...
                                                     Hey Bill. Just in case it might help you see what Trent told you about...
Ivan George Borges - 16 Years Ago
                                                     Bill,

You might try doing something real simply like just...
                                                         Paul: I have a very similar setup on my InvoiceBO with the...
                                                             BILL, if you would read my previous post, there is ONLY one...
                                                                 Also, if you read Ivan's post, he has posted some code that shows an...
                                                                     [quote][b]Trent L. Taylor (06/26/2008)[/b][hr]Also, if you read Ivan's...
                                                                         If your customer property work's fine with textbox's but not with a...
Paul Chase - 16 Years Ago
                                                                             [quote][b]Paul Chase (06/26/2008)[/b][hr]If your customer property...
                                                                         Hey Bill. Don't even know wether this would make a difference or not,...
                                                                             Thanks for reviewing the code, Ivan. Yup, just left it out, since I am...
                                                                                 I thought I would try to wrap up this thread with a play-by-play of...
                                                                                     Glad you got it going, Bill! ;) [quote]There are a couple of...
                                                                                         Since the form's purpose is to display information only, I set the...
                                                                 The threecolumns (which areblank)are dragged from the available...
                                                 Bill, Try taking the business binding source out of the equation,...
                                                     With the textboxes, the values are showing up properlyas I navigate...
                                                         Hi Ivan, Thanks for the input. The only real difference is that my...
                                                             That is good, if it work's without the BBS then you know it is a BBS...