Stratafix SQL authemtication problem (SQL 2008)

Author
Peter Jones
StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I have SF 1.6.6. loaded on a Vista machine with VS2008 and SQL Server 2008. The app we are developing works fine under SQL 2008 once we added on extra SQL reference (I forget which one).

I just loaded Stratafix to check out how the experts do it and Stratafix certainly seemed to load ok. I attached to the mdf and can read the tables ok in management studio. When I start Stratafix I get the normal attach to db dialogue which generates the error: Internal Server Connection - Could not authenticate the SQL Server. We use Windows authentication.

The error details are as follows:

DataLayerException
  An error occurred while creating a new DataLayer for the business object.
DataLayerException
  The DataSourceKey [] is not defined.

Source     : MicroFour StrataFrame Business

Stack Trace:
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Data.DataLayer.Create(BusinessLayer BusinessObject, ISynchronizeInvoke SyncObject, Boolean CheckDesignTime)
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Business.BusinessLayer.CreateDataLayer()
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Business.BusinessLayer.get__DataLayer()
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Business.BusinessLayer.FillDataTable(DbCommand CommandToExecute)
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Security.BusinessObjects.SFSPreferencesBO.FillAll(Int32 ProjectPK)
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Security.BusinessObjects.SFSPreferencesBO.RetrieveSecurityPreferences()
   at StrataFlix.AppMain.InitApplication(InitializingApplicationEventArgs e) in C:\Program Files\MicroFour\StrataFlix\VB.NET\StrataFlix\AppMain.vb:line 103
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Application.StrataFrameApplication.Raise_InitializingApplication(InitializingApplicationEventArgs e)
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Application.StrataFrameApplication.RunApplication()
   at StrataFlix.AppMain.Main() in C:\Program Files\MicroFour\StrataFlix\VB.NET\StrataFlix\AppMain.vb:line 21
   at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)
   at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Is the issue that we are using SQL Server 2008? If it is, is there a work around?

Cheers, Peter

Geoff Hirst
Geoff Hirst
StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)
Peter,

As far as I am aware the current version of Strataframe does not support SQL Server 2008. I believe this support to be coming, but not in the available in the present products.

Of course, probably best to get it from the guys who really know.

You could also try a search in the forum about SQL Server 2008 as I know this has been brought up before.

best

Geoff

Peter Jones
Peter Jones
StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)
Hi Geoff,

Yes, that is my understanding however we are using SQL 2008 and had it working fine in the beta 1.6.6. and also in the release 1.6.6. To our surprise when we installed the release 1.6.6 the SQL references were to Version 10 SQL which is SQL 2008. Our app is working just fine under SQL 2008 - I just would like to see what Stratafix does. I don't expect the SF guys to provide 'proper' support - more of a 'you can try this' kind of response.

Cheers, Peter

Geoff Hirst
Geoff Hirst
StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)
Hey Peter,

That's great news. I did think there was something about SF that wasn't compatible with VS2008. Coming to think of it I wonder if it might be the Database Deployment Toolkit.

I suppose that if you can 'run' an app based on SQL Server 2008, then that's great.  Have you had any success with creating an application, ie having the Strataframe DB installed on a SQL Server 2008 database?

regards

Geoff

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
SF does fully support VS2008...and has for a very long time at this point.  You can run SF with SQL Server 2008, but it has not gone through all of our testing at this point...so a few minor changes may be down the road.  But the SQL 10 classes should be backward compatible.

As for the DDT, it has not been tested against 2008 (at least not in a full QA scenario).  However, you will see that it already supports all of the SQL Server 2008 data types, etc.  So clearly support is planned, but again, it has not been fully tested.

Peter Jones
Peter Jones
Hi Trent,

I'm not using DDT - the only thing I'm interested in is running the Stratafix sample.

I do understand you are not officially supporting SQL 2008 yet but I was hoping you could give me a pointer as to why I'm getting the error I described in my original post.

Cheers, Peter

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Sorry...I just quickly scanned through the post BigGrin

Just do this, hard code your connection in the AppMain versus allowing the Connection Wizard to popup.  Open the AppMain.vb or program.cs (whichever language you are using) and then comment out the SetConnections() call in the SetDataSources method.  Then just manually supply the connection for the StrataFlix database:

Databasics.DataSources.Add(New SqlDataSourceItem("","server=MyServer;Integrated Security=SSPI;database=StrataFlix"))

Peter Jones
Peter Jones
Hi Trent,

Yep - that works fine - thanks.

Geoff - in answer to your question. We have two environments which have been running ok for several weeks now:

1) Vista Ultimate running SF 1.6.6, VS2008 and SQL Server 2008 with contains the database for the app. However the StrataFrame database is actually still SQL 2005 on another machine.

2) Vista Ultimate running SF 1.6.6, VS2008 and SQL Server 2008. The app database and the StrataFrame database reside on the Vista machine.

Cheers, Peter

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Cool Cool
Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)
Sorry...I just quickly scanned through the post

Just do this, hard code your connection in the AppMain versus allowing the Connection Wizard to popup.  Open the AppMain.vb or program.cs (whichever language you are using) and then comment out the SetConnections() call in the SetDataSources method.  Then just manually supply the connection for the StrataFlix database:

Databasics.DataSources.Add(New SqlDataSourceItem("","server=MyServer;Integrated Security=SSPI;database=StrataFlix"))

What would be the equivalent for the above in C# (program.cs)?  Thanks!

Russ Brown (Using C#2010/SQL Server 2008)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...