Creating a messaging/chat like server

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Greg,

Even though I have not experience doing this kind of application, it is all based on network Sockets where you will have a Server and multiple Clients to communicate via a TCP port to do all kind of things and have a lot of fun Tongue

This is one of the things I have on my list to do for my applications too, but don't know when I will ever start working on that BigGrin

I goggled ".net socket server" and got several links, here is one very simple.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20020323.asp

Also there are some communications libraries like IP Works from www.nsoftware.com which easy this kind of thing, I have not used this library, but I have used other libraries from nSoftware and they are pretty easy and straight forward to work with.  Here you can see a bunch of demos http://www.nsoftware.com/ipworks/demos.aspx available to test their libraries, I would pay attention to these ones:

• TCP Echo Client/Server
  • UDP Echo Client

I am sure there should also be a Client/Server TCP/Win Socket demo application somewhere using plain .NET.

Edhy Rijo

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'd like to have a server app that provides a messaging service between the clients. There a few different sort of things I'd like to do:

- When certain fields are updated on a certain BO, it changes the application state. Rather than code to errors (because another user attempts something that was legal when it retrieved the state, but the state has now changed), I'd like to be able to just notify the clients so they can get the new state and adjust to it.

- For administration purposes, it would be good to know who is on, in real time. The way chat clients can show a list of friends online is what got me thinking about doing something chat like (though I don't intend to allow users to chat, just the client apps).

- For both administration and security purposes, I'd like to be able to kick off users, send out notifications etc. in real time. This would be used when the app is being upgraded, to make sure no one is on (and give them a 10 min warning). For security, in case we have a particularly naughty user, I could kick them off immediately.

I'm just a total newbie at doing anything like this. I've done a bit of research on using network streams, but don't know where to start. I'm also wondering how I'd do this if I were to use IIS and an ASPX page. I'm not sure that would work because I'd need to have a client talk to the server, which would broadcast to other clients.

Any help/starting tips would greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...