Recommendation for SF developer PC

Author
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I need a new PC. My main priority is lightning fast VS2008, I feel hampered by 32bit XP.

Will SF / VS2008 run fine on X64, I see lots of threads with issues but they all seem older.

If you had to get a new development PC would it be XP or Vista, 32 or 64 bit?

Comments from all appreciated, especially those that took the 64 bit plunge early and can tell me of possible pitfalls.

Thanks!!

Keith Chisarik

Replies
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Also dual or quad core? Smile I normally have 2-3 VS2008 instances open at a time.

Keith Chisarik
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
A couple of things, to start off the discussion (kinda like an appetizer) BigGrin

1. There was a comment by Trent a week ago or so that they are switching to C#. Why? They said it was because VB is constantly compiling, slowing things down. So, this is one way to speed it up...I wonder how bad it would have to get before I decided to do this...

2. There was an article by Joel (at Joelonsoftware) about him trying to get compile times to speed up (not sure if they use VS). They actually didn't get the compile times to improve...but the computer in general was screaming fast.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2009/03/27.html

So, just like an appetizer, these don't answer your question, but maybe they'll spark some more conversation! Cool
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...