Recommendation for SF developer PC

Author
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I need a new PC. My main priority is lightning fast VS2008, I feel hampered by 32bit XP.

Will SF / VS2008 run fine on X64, I see lots of threads with issues but they all seem older.

If you had to get a new development PC would it be XP or Vista, 32 or 64 bit?

Comments from all appreciated, especially those that took the 64 bit plunge early and can tell me of possible pitfalls.

Thanks!!

Keith Chisarik

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Also dual or quad core? Smile I normally have 2-3 VS2008 instances open at a time.

Keith Chisarik
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
A couple of things, to start off the discussion (kinda like an appetizer) BigGrin

1. There was a comment by Trent a week ago or so that they are switching to C#. Why? They said it was because VB is constantly compiling, slowing things down. So, this is one way to speed it up...I wonder how bad it would have to get before I decided to do this...

2. There was an article by Joel (at Joelonsoftware) about him trying to get compile times to speed up (not sure if they use VS). They actually didn't get the compile times to improve...but the computer in general was screaming fast.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2009/03/27.html

So, just like an appetizer, these don't answer your question, but maybe they'll spark some more conversation! Cool
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
Very interesting article Greg, but troubling at the same time. I am holding out hope that a new PC will help. I THOUGHT my new home PC would be the answer, an XPS with 4GB (OK 3.something due to 32bit), XP pro and a nice 3.4Ghz Core 2 with the 1333 front side bus. I was sadly dissappointed. My new hope is 64 bit something with 10 GB of memory will keep me from sword fighting in the aisles during compile (that was funny if you read the article link...maybe). Actually if I could get that 30 seconds each time I have to run my apps down to 5 I would be happy. Does anyone have a really hardcore machine and lightning fast VS compile times?

I have defragged my drive, memory, uninstalled, reinstalled....

Now as far as C# goes. I didnt read that post and that seems to open a different can of worms. Not going to go there, I just just got comfortable with VB.NET a year ago where I could sit down and just WORK like I used to in VFP.

Keith Chisarik

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
Hmm, I never considered the hard drive perhaps as a source of the bottlenecks...

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/11/01/tip-trick-hard-drive-speed-and-visual-studio-performance.aspx

Keith Chisarik

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Sorry for the slow reponse guys...it has been crazy around here lately and in the middle of all of the crazyness I am dumb enough to be buying a new house.   Yup, never claimed to be too smart!

Anyway, I just built a new machine from NewEgg that is a screamer for around $1900.  Here are the specs:

Intel Core i& 920 Nehalem 2.66 GHz LGA 1366 Quad-Core
Noctua 120mm SSO CPU Cooler
Corsair XMS3 12GB (6x2GB) 240 Pin DDR3
ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Motherboard
2 x Western Digital RE3 1TB Raid Edition 7200 RPM

On top of this I got an 850W power supply and NZXT case and the basics.  But this is a screamer!

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
with 12GB of RAM your running 64 bit then with no issues? Vista or XP?

thanks

Keith Chisarik

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Yes, 64-bit Vista Ultimate.
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
Thanks and congratulations on the house.

Keith Chisarik
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Thanks!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...