Trying to install SF on Windows 7 Ultimate / VS 2008 / SQL 2008 Standard

Author
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Are there any issues you know of on installing SF on Win 7 /SQL 2008 sp1?

I installed another HD in my development box - same NIC.

That HD boots Win 7 ultimate. First HD boots Vista Ultimate (currently running SF)

When Win7 boots it is drive C:

I am gradaully setting up my dev envrionment on the new OS, but wanted to keep working meanwhile. Figured this was within the license agreement as it is same computer (and in any case I can only boot one drive at a time) - same network card, obviously

Clean install of VS 2008. Install SF - first without deactivating - License server doesn't like that, even though it is the same box.

Deactivate in Vista

Try to install on Win 7 - sees product as not yet activated but :

UnauthorizedAccessException

Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\License\MicroFour License.dll' is denied.

Source : mscorlib

Stack Trace:

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(String path, Byte[] bytes)

at Activate.ActivateMain.RequestActivation()

Tried opening permission wide on that folder but no joy.

Vista box is having all kinds of problems and I really need to move this asap.

I assume after the install I can just detach the new Strataframe database and detach, copy and reattach the Strataframe from the Vista box, no?

Any guidance much appreciated.

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Finally got the Windows 7 install working. Juan Carlos Pazos put me on the right track - it was a question of Run as Administrator.

Hope this saves somebody else a problem. In Windows 7, when you do the SF install, finish the install without activating. Then go to Strataframe in the start menu and right-click the License Activation , choosing Run as Administrator.

DDT also must be run as an administrator (and I wouldn't be surprised if the Security Maintenance exe, packageit and other stuff needs elevated permissions as well. You can set this up by going into the Microfour/stratframe folder in Program Files, right clicking the EXE, go to properties and at the bottom of the compatiblity tab check Run this program as an Administrator.

Now all is well.

I love Windows 7 ! BigGrin
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...