Trying to install SF on Windows 7 Ultimate / VS 2008 / SQL 2008 Standard

Author
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Finally got the Windows 7 install working. Juan Carlos Pazos put me on the right track - it was a question of Run as Administrator.

Hope this saves somebody else a problem. In Windows 7, when you do the SF install, finish the install without activating. Then go to Strataframe in the start menu and right-click the License Activation , choosing Run as Administrator.

DDT also must be run as an administrator (and I wouldn't be surprised if the Security Maintenance exe, packageit and other stuff needs elevated permissions as well. You can set this up by going into the Microfour/stratframe folder in Program Files, right clicking the EXE, go to properties and at the bottom of the compatiblity tab check Run this program as an Administrator.

Now all is well.

I love Windows 7 ! BigGrin
Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (892 reputation)
Yeah, but here I get to see all these pictures of me ...
Randy Jean
Randy Jean
StrataFrame User (167 reputation)StrataFrame User (167 reputation)StrataFrame User (167 reputation)StrataFrame User (167 reputation)StrataFrame User (167 reputation)StrataFrame User (167 reputation)StrataFrame User (167 reputation)StrataFrame User (167 reputation)StrataFrame User (167 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
LOL Charles... and you used to make fun of me for responding to my own forum messages over at F1 BigGrin
Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Thanks very much I will try that and report back.

Juan Carlos Pazos
Juan Carlos Pazos
StrataFrame User (228 reputation)StrataFrame User (228 reputation)StrataFrame User (228 reputation)StrataFrame User (228 reputation)StrataFrame User (228 reputation)StrataFrame User (228 reputation)StrataFrame User (228 reputation)StrataFrame User (228 reputation)StrataFrame User (228 reputation)
Hi

Last week I made a clean installa of VS2008, SF and SQL Server Express in Windows 7 Ultimate. All of them works.

For SF, run the activation with administrator permission.

For SQL Server, just need to install the must recent version from MS.

I think that the must important issue is in SF run the activation with administrator permission.

Kindest regards

Smile Everything is possible, just keep trying...

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Should add (darn I wish we could edit our own posts if there are no replies) that after dragging SF folder I ran Strataframe install and chose repair without recreated Strataframe database (already had that and it was current)

Got no errors on repair.  Did not run activation client as it would only have the option to deactivate.

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Tried dragging the whole SF folder to the Win7 HD ( again - this is all the same box - 2 hds - 2 OS - one NIC )

Looked like it worked but in DDT when I tried to save or close a dialog ( after Open View for example ) I got this :

UnauthorizedAccesException

Access to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microfour\MetaData\Views' is denied

If this is just because my hamfisted attempts to get clever in installing when I couldn't get it to install by deactivating in Vista then installing in Win7 screwed things up, fine, I'll wait for Trent to show up and tell me how to do it right.

I realize there are all sorts of clever things going on with the Microfour activation scheme and I respect that and am not trying to hack it - just move my install from one OS to another on the same box.

If it is an issue with Win7 registry vs Vista registry I need to know if there is a fix etc so I can make plans re how soon I can move my dev environment to Win7

One way or another, I think only Microfour has the answer and I look forward to hearing from them (emailed Trent at time of posting first message but I know he has a lot on his plate so I'll be patient Smile )

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
I actually tried that first - well, actually after the license activator showed I was already active once I gave it my email etc after I installed on Win7, I tried just copying the license dll from the license folder. This seemed to work, until I tried to use the bo mapper and DDT and got all kinds of red windows implying was trying to use the program in an unauthorized way. Evidently there are some registry keys that have to match some stuff in the dll as well ( I mean, these guys are good Cool

I did not try copying the whole Microfour folder though, so I may try that tonight if I don't hear from Trent.

Anyway, waiting to hear from Trent and meanwhile chugging along on my old Vista install.

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Charles,

I believe SF uses a licence file to keep track of its activation.

Try this:

1.- Boot in Vista and activate SF again.

2.- Once activated, copy the whole SF folder to the Win7 hard drive.

3.- Boot Win7, run SF setup again, do not activate from Win7, simply see if SF now works.

I have not try the above, just guessing here Smile

Edhy Rijo

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
I did a clean install of Win 7 and not an upgrade, but when I installed SQL 2008 it told me up front that I needed at least sp1 for it to work with Win7. You might make sure you have that sp installed and try it again.

The Win7/SQL/VS otherwise seem to work great - only the Strataframe activation seems to be an issue.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...