Soutlook Style sidebar and tabs

Author
Coolbreeze
StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello one and all

I am new here and so I am seeking your help. How would I be able to get an outlook style sidebar as attached done in strataframe? If anyone have the sample code it would be appreciated.

Also, how are tabs done in strataframe?

Attachments
menu.png (193 views, 14.00 KB)
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
There are a number of different approaches including using 3rd party controls.  But I would recommend looking at the ThemedLinkMenu as it was designed on this premise though it functions a little differently.   You might take a look at the ThemedLinkMenu samples.  This might get the creative juices flowing as this is a very versatile control that covers a lot of ground.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
There is a Tab control that comes with .NET. I've not had good luck with it (it tends to rearrange the controls within itself under, as yet, unknown situations...a real pain). I'm moving to using the ThemedLinkMenu instead of tabs. It works well and looks nice/modern. It is designed to work directly with a PanelManager, so it is very easy to set it up to handle this sort of navigation.

Likely, with a bit of creative thought and some work, you could create you're own outlook control as a user control. I might try a PanelManager and a set of buttons. Making it generic (i.e. with a configurable number of buttons) and with nice designer support would likely be a bit more work, but to create one specifically for you needs might not be too bad.

Hope that sparks some ideas! BigGrin
Teddy Jensen
Teddy Jensen
StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (98 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I use the ThemedLinkMenu as sidebar for navigation in my applications. In the attached screenshot I have used a ThemedSplitContainer and two ThemedLinkMenus to get a somewhat similar look, and still only use the Strataframe controls.

The menu captions are in Danish, but hopefully You can get some inspiration.

/Teddy

Attachments
Sidebar.png (247 views, 19.00 KB)
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
As I thought about this more, using a UserControl is overkill. Then I see Teddy's post, which is very close to what I was thinking. BigGrin As Teddy suggested just build it on the form and I'd do it very similar to how Teddy is doing it.

I'd start with a ThemedPanel to hold everything else, and to make resizing of the entire set of controls easy.

Then I'd try adding how ever many labels I needed for buttons (I think I'd get more control over formatting of the labels than buttons...but buttons could work too). I'd dock these controls to the bottom.

Then I'd add a PanelManager and dock it to fill.

For each button, add a page to the Panel Manager. Add code in Click event handler of each button to show the appropriate page.

Finally, on each page add a ThemedLinkMenu and add appropriate items. Then add handlers to those items to actually do what you need done.

Hopefully that made sense and will get you started!
Coolbreeze
Coolbreeze
StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (26 reputation)
Coolbreeze (02/02/2010)
Hello one and all

I am new here and so I am seeking your help. How would I be able to get an outlook style sidebar as attached done in strataframe? If anyone have the sample code it would be appreciated.

Also, how are tabs done in strataframe?

Hi Teddy

Yes, I can work with this. But can a tree style be added to it? I konow you may ask why I ned tree style. It is because the system will have many menu items and sub items. So  tree style is very much best for me to work with.

Give me your ideas.

Rudolph

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
You cannot embed controls in the ThemedLinkMenu which is what I think you are getting at. However, might I suggest just using a Flow Layout Panel and the new (still beta) StrataFrame Collapsable Container. I think that this will give you exactly what you want as you can create collections of the Collapsable Containers and link them together. I will try to put a quick sample together for you.
Coolbreeze
Coolbreeze
Thank Trent

That is much appreciated.

Rudolph

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Ok, here is a really quick and dirty sample, but it should at least give you an idea of how to use the Collapsible Containers.  We will release a full featured sample once this control is 100% released, but this will give you a good idea of what you can do.

Attachments
Coolbreeze
Coolbreeze
Hi Trent

Thanks for the sample. Yes, this is almost what i am looking for.
Will this be able to have the main menu items at the bottom just as the outlook style?
How soon will it released?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...