Getting a Return Value from a Stored Procedure

Author
Terry Bottorff
Advanced StrataFrame User (676 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (676 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (676 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (676 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (676 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (676 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (676 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (676 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (676 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have the following Stored Proc (I am not sure it is correct). I just am trying to see if there are any duplicates in the table.

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[sp_CountSRStockforDups] 
   -- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here
   @myRowCount int = 0 OUTPUT
AS
BEGIN
   -- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from
   -- interfering with SELECT statements.
   SET NOCOUNT ON;

-- Insert statements for procedure here
   select stock, count(stock) as pen from dbo.SRstocks where stock > 0 group by stock having (count(stock)) > 1
   select @myRowCount = @@ROWCOUNT
   return @myRowCount
END

I know I have 2 records that repeat but with the following code it returns zero(0).?
        Dim nret As Integer = 1000
                 Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("sp_CountSRStockforDups")
                cmd.CommandType = Data.CommandType.StoredProcedure
                ' OutPut Parameter
                cmd.Parameters.Add("@myRowCount", Data.SqlDbType.Int).Direction = Data.ParameterDirection.Output
                nret = CType(cmd.Parameters("@myRowCount").Value, Integer)
Please understand I am not sure any of this is correct except the attached picture seems to indicate that my stored proc is working but any help would be appreciated. TIA

Attachments
countingstk.png (85 views, 6.00 KB)
Replies
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Charles R Hankey (11/29/2010)
This looks good.  Also, if you pass a comma separated list of fields to the fieldname param it will work fine for defining a dupe based on multiple fields

Charles, I agree, but I would prefer a param array and then check if Column Exist for each one before executing the query.  Also a 2nd optional parameter could be use to handle "WHERE conditions like in Terry's case.

So far, I did not have the need for such checking, but since I work on multiple projects at the same time, I like to have my code as generic as possible so it can be reused in all projects, even though I do not have a common assembly for all projects just yet Angry

I am still learning this stuff which always amaze me with simple things and the .Net/SF approach to handle them.  Pure and simple, I just love SF at the same level I loved VFP and my previous framework.  It feels good being comfortable with a tool and I am at that level with StrataFrame now.  (hmmm, Trent, that does not mean I am totally settle,  I still want to see the new StrataListView completed with the automation stuff Rolleyes)

Edhy Rijo

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (798 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I think your idea of an array for multiple fields is very good, especially in keeping the function as generic as possible.

Just as an aside :  I've been working a lot with using table value parameters in stored procedures and I'm really interested to find that unlike other type of params, you don't need to account for *not* passing the param - the TVP in the sproc will just be an empty table.  Interesting in that you can write where clauses in the sproc that let you receive either a single or TVP param for comparison and it will work depending on what you pass in. 

( reading that over it probably doesn't make any sense unless you've been playing with TVPs but for anybody who has, the TVP as empty table if no param is passed came as a surprise to me and somebody may find it useful )
Tags
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Charles R Hankey (11/29/2010)
(... reading that over it probably doesn't make any sense unless you've been playing with TVPs but for anybody who has, the TVP as empty table if no param is passed came as a surprise to me and somebody may find it useful )

Hi Charles,

I have not worked with a TVP yet.  I have a consultant "Uri Dimant" which is a MS SQL MVP which helps me with those deep needs and even though he is pretty good explaining this type of things with MS-SQL, sometimes I don't have the luxury to pay to much of attention to details.  He has created some complex stored procedures to deal with millions of records and re-factored those couple of times to take advantage of new functionality of MS-SQL 2008 R2.  In case you or anyone needs serious help with any MS-SQL problem, feel free to contact him.

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
Terry Bottorff - 14 Years Ago
Ivan George Borges - 14 Years Ago
             You're welcome. :cool:
Ivan George Borges - 14 Years Ago
Edhy Rijo - 14 Years Ago
Trent L. Taylor - 14 Years Ago
Charles R Hankey - 14 Years Ago
Edhy Rijo - 14 Years Ago
                     >> cmd.CommandText= String .Format(...
                         Hi Charles, I had to do the test this time, since it is not...
Edhy Rijo - 14 Years Ago
                             This looks good. Also, if you pass a comma separated list of fields to...
                                 [quote][b]Charles R Hankey (11/29/2010)[/b][hr]This looks good. Also,...
Edhy Rijo - 14 Years Ago
                                     I think your idea of an array for multiple fields is very good,...
                                         [quote][b]Charles R Hankey (11/29/2010)[/b][hr](... reading that over...
Edhy Rijo - 14 Years Ago
Ger Cannoll - 14 Years Ago
Edhy Rijo - 14 Years Ago
Edhy Rijo - 14 Years Ago
Edhy Rijo - 14 Years Ago
Edhy Rijo - 14 Years Ago
Edhy Rijo - 14 Years Ago