Trial install Sample Console doesn't work because of SQLExpress connection

Author
Michael Niemann
StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I just installed the trial edition, and the installation went fine (XP and Vista on the same PC).

However, they both have the same problem... I am unable to execute the Sample applications from the Sample Console because there is a problem connecting to the database. Note: This is in spite of installing the StrataFrame and StrataFrameSample databases (.mdf files) in SQLExpress... which is running as a service.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Mike Niemann
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
This just sounds like an SQL connection problem.  All of the samples (that talk to a database) attempt to connect to a StrataFrameSample database.  So if this database was installed during the installation process (it is an option) then you just need to direct the connection to that database.  If you do not even get a prompt asking you for the connection to the database, then more than likely when you first entered or selected the connection it was either the wrong connection or has moved...and thus an error may occur.  So what you will want to do in that case is just manually remove the AppKeys.Dat and Connections.Dat (this is the easiest way to explain your options here versus going another route).

For Vista

1. Open the C:\ProgramData\MicroFour\ConnectionData folder
  2. Delete the Appkeys.dat and Connections.dat files
  3. Attempt to launch another SF sample.  You should then be prompted for the connection information again.
  4. If the appropriate server containing the StrataFrameSample database was entered, then you should be good to go.

For Windows XP

1. Same as above other that the path is c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MicroFour\CoonnectionData (this is at least a close approximation off of the top of my head Smile )

Michael Niemann
Michael Niemann
StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (7 reputation)
Trent,

Thank you for the weekend reply!

I believe the problem must be related to my configuration (home network) and SQLExpress. The error I get is "unable to authenticate server". Note: I do see the "Database Connection Wizard"... that is not the problem.

Using "SQL Server Management Express" I can see that both the StrataFrame database, and the StrataFrameSamples database are available... and I can see the data in the Sample database. So as far as SQLExpress is concerned things are fine.

Unfortunately I am new to SQL Server, and I believe the issue is there (with connectivity or authorization). I will see what I can find on MSDN.

Thanks again for your assistance, and I will post here what the problem was to help the next person who travels this path.

Regards, Mike Niemann
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Mike,

You might try one of the following when entering the server name.  Unless you manually changed the default settings you will have an instance name and TCP/IP will be turned off.  So you will want to enter a server name like this:

MyComputerName\SQLEXPRESS

You can also try this in the case the TCP/IP is turned on:

localhost\SQLEXPRESS

Finally, if you installed SQL Server as the default instance, then you can omit the SQLEXPRESS instance name (this is not as likely if you did not do this intentionally):

MyComputerName

or (if TCP/IP is enabled)

localhost

One of these should more than likely work.

Michael Niemann
Michael Niemann
Trent L. Taylor (06/29/2008)
Mike,

You might try one of the following when entering the server name.

You can also try this in the case the TCP/IP is turned on:

localhost\SQLEXPRESS

One of these should more than likely work.

Trent, I had enable all the communication protocols when I first encountered the problem... and the above suggestion worked just fine. Thank you very much.

Regards, Mike Niemann
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Great!  Glad you got it going!!! Smile
Darrell Praytor
Darrell Praytor
StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
My problem happens on the next step.   I connect to my SQLEXPRESS server fine.  But when I configure CustomersBO and try to select a table using the SQL Server selection, I get a Business Object Mapper Error ID 3 - An error occurred while attempting to open the data source with the connection string ....etc.   Exception - Cannot open database xx requested by the login.  Login Failed for user 'yyyy'.     When I change selection to DDT, I can access the sample tables just fine.   I can also access them thru the SQLEXPRESS management console.   Not sure why it is refusing my login when selecting SQL server.
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
When you view the properties on a project node in the BOMapper, there is a list of connection strings at the bottom.  Those are the connection strings that are used unless the connection string is overriden on the configuration for the individual BO (in the properties of the BO in the BOMapper).  Check those connection strings; it sounds like the "SQL Server Connection String" in the project properties is off.
Darrell Praytor
Darrell Praytor
StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (5 reputation)
It appears to be correct.  It is the same I use when I test connected using Visual Studio and it allows me access to the Strataframe sample database.   I'm using windows 8.1 and SQLEXPRESS 2014 if that makes a difference.   I tried both local\sqlexpress and  mycomputername\sqlexpress.   On the top level (BOMapper on Project level) it acts like both connect fine.   Then when I move to CustomersBO to configure it, as soon as I try to select a source it gives me the error if I"ve selected SQL server.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Darrell,

Since you are using Windows 8.1, try opening VS as "Administrator", then test to see if that fixes the issue.

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...