This server is not licensed to run on the requested hostname.

Author
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I am trying to get ES up and runing under the developer SDK license, we have two projects that I think are a great fit for ES. The error I get (via email from the ES server) when trying to connect is below. The hostname listed in the account section matches the name in my EnterpriseDataSourceItem so I am not sure what is next. Can you see if there is a licensing problem? I downloaded the license file twice and installed it. Status.ASPX works and shows the client connected. One odd thing is the status page shows the server hostname as "Unknown", maybe that is the problem but I sure dont know how to fix. Thoughts appreciated.

Enterprise Server Error

Client IP:

Details:

Exception

Source : MicroFour StrataFrame Enterprise Server

Stack Trace:
at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Enterprise.Server.RemoteDataSource.
ᜀ(String A_0)
at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Enterprise.Server.RemoteDataSource.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

If System.IO.File.Exists("C:\EnableES.txt") Then

'-- Create the ES data source

Dim ds As New EnterpriseDataSourceItem("", _

"es.sigmaxxxx.com", 80, "ILA", _

New SqlDataSourceItem(""))

'-- Configure the compression and encryption (optional)

ds.IsCompressed = True

ds.IsEncrypted = True

ds.EncryptionKey = New Byte() {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4}

ds.EncryptionVector = New Byte() {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8}

'simple error display for testing

Try

'-- Add the EnterpriseDataSourceItem

DataLayer.DataSources.Add(ds)

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox(ex.ToString)

End Try

Else

Keith Chisarik
Dustin Taylor
Dustin Taylor
StrataFrame Team Member (484 reputation)
It is showing the activated IP as 127.0.0.1 with a hostname of es.sigmaxxx.com (it's not really sigmaxxx, but I'm assuming you obfuscated that for a reason Wink). My guess is that you gave it a MAC that isn't connected to the internet, which is why it pulled 127.0.0.1 and why you can't get to it from outside clients.

I wiped out your license, so you can go ahead and re-activate. Be sure to give the mac address of the network adapter that your public IP is attatched to and you should be good Smile.

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Same result after reactivating, made sure it was the external NIC (pretty sure it was the first time too). Could it possibly be the fact that the NIC has 16 IP's assigned to it, that is all I can think of that is out of the norm? This is our production application server that runs quite a few things spread out across the 16 IP addresses.

I need to get this eval up and running so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Keith Chisarik

Dustin Taylor
Dustin Taylor
Hm, well so much for that theory. In your code sample, you were just obfuscating your domain when you put it as "es.sigmaxxxx.com", correct? My new biggest suspect is that "Unknown" for your hostname on the status page. Whatever is preventing that from resolving is likely our culprit.
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
OK, any ideas on that path?

And yes I just obfustcated it so it wont be harvested by a spammer, I notice these forums index quite well and that domain also runs several mail servers, I dont want the domain name out there as much as I can control it. Nothing at all to do with SF there but be assured the domain in the code matches the hostname that I activated and I can get to it via the web ie (http://es.sigmaxxx.com/status.aspx, from my IP only since I set that in the config file).

Hope that helps you give me some things to try to get this working. So the status page should show the hostname, not "unknown"?

Keith Chisarik

Dustin Taylor
Dustin Taylor
Yep, it should show you the hostname. I just looked at the code and it is just pulling the hostname directly from the license file, so the problem looks to be with accessing that file.  Either it can't find it, can't access it, or doesn't recognize it.

A couple thoughts: You'll need the most recent license base for it to interpret that license file correctly, and you'll need the most recent ESSiteContents for everything to be plumbed correctly. Have you gotten the latest beta build from here and the site contents (they  were updated in June) from here?

Past that, my guess would be that it just flat out can't find or access the license file, so I'd check your file permissions on that file to ensure that the IIS user has access to it.

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
NO I installed ES from the account area? That code wont work?

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
anyhow.... I copied the site contents from that post and it did update files from what was installed from the "My Account" area, I restarted the site and its app pool. Hostname is still "unknown" with a license expiration date of 1/1/1800.

The license file has been given full permissions for the Internet Guest account.

I did now update the SF DLL's in the GAC as this is a production server and I dont want to do that right now unless you are 100% sure that is going to be required to get this going. It looked to me that all the assemblies ES needs are in its BIN folder.

Next?

Keith Chisarik

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
I was going to reload the license file but I see in my license summary area of the website the ES Server shows an IP of 127.0.0.1, dont think that will work. I dont run anything on localhost on the server.

I can give you the IP for the correct hostname, does that help?

Keith Chisarik

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
OK...let's talk about a few things here so that we can make sure that we are on the same page.  We had to change the License Base assembly in 1.6.6 so use a different public token.  So this asssembly will not work with newer ES files, etc.  Which makes sense as you should really have all of the same StrataFrame assemblies on the same machine.

But here is the deal, there is one of two things going on here since the host name cannot be seen. There is a line of code that is used from the MicroFour License Base.dll assembly that attempts to pull the host name out of the licnese file (since the host name is stored within the license file).  if it cannot be found within the licnese file, then Unknown will be returned.  Since you are not getting an exception, I would think that all of you SF assemblies are on the same version, thus, it just cannot find the license file.  Here are some other fields that will appear "empty" or with default values if the license file cannot be found:

Stop Date: 1/1/1800
Host Name: unknown
Registered Company: (empty string)
Registered Name: (empty string)
Serial Number: (empty string)

There are some others, but this will be  a good litmus.  So let's basically go back to the beginning and just get your machine activated Wink

Note: The license file "MicroFour License.dll" should be placed in the Bin folder of the ES site.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...