AccessViolationException in BOM v1.6.5.3

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Dustin,

I tried your suggestion, but I still get the same error.

AccessViolationException
  Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Source     : EnvDTE

Stack Trace:
   at EnvDTE.ProjectItem.get_Name()
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.AddIns.PartialClassBuilderDialog.ᜁ(Project A_0, String A_1)
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.AddIns.PartialClassBuilderDialog.ᜁ(String A_0, Project A_1)

Obviously this method EnvDTE.ProjectItem.get_Name() is the one where the error is being generate, what does this method do?

Since this is happening with all my projects, then could it be something with VS2008?

That reminds me the old VFP problems with the resource files, is there something in VS/VB.NET that may need to be clean up?

Edhy Rijo

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.8K reputation)
Well Google is always one of our best friend Smile

Since you didn't have a clue of what may have gone wrong, and it was not the SF database,  then I did a search on Google and found many links related to the same AccessViolationException error.  One of the post indicated to re-install .NET 2.0 which I did and guess what? that solved the problem Tongue.

In my case I simply repaired the installation of Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SDK (x64).

Edhy Rijo

Dustin Taylor
Dustin Taylor
StrataFrame Team Member (488 reputation)
Well that certainly would cause things to go funky, wouldn't it? When the .NET framework gets hosed it allways manifest in the strangest ways!

Glad you got it going BigGrin

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
I just got this too... just one machine (the one I care about of course) , others seems fine and it only manifests in the BO Mapper.

In my case repair hasn't worked, I'm going to go drink I think Sad

Keith Chisarik

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Repair and reinstall of .NET 2.0 has not helped. If you guys have any ideas as to what this error means or how to fix it, I would appreciate it. It is exactly the same as Edhy had. So far as I can see, nothing outside the BO mapper is unhappy as a result of this error. It is just on one PC and I can work by rebuilding on another workstation, but I have to fix it eventually. Think it is SF or .NET related?

AccessViolationException
  Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Source     : EnvDTE

Stack Trace:
   at EnvDTE.ProjectItem.get_Name()
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.AddIns.PartialClassBuilderDialog.ᜁ(Project A_0, String A_1)
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.AddIns.PartialClassBuilderDialog.ᜁ(String A_0, Project A_1)

Keith Chisarik

Edhy Rijo
E
Hi Keith,

Try using the Windows Restore feature to restore your Windows to an earlier day of the problem showing up.

Probably something was installed in your computer that mess up the registry.

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I really don't what would cause this.  I will tell you this though.  Since I have loaded SP1 for VS2008 (a number of months ago) it is not uncommon for me to get blown out of VS once ot twice a day with an "Out of Memory" exception.  This has definitely been an extreme frustration, but there is generally no stack trace and/or a way to track down where the root of the issue resides.  When the devenv environment is getting shaky due to this, then if I go into the BO Mapper which will tax the DTE then an error may occur....but the environment is already hosed at this point.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Hey Keith, you know why this is happening don't you?  It is because you rooted for a team that was really mean to the Cowboys BigGrin
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
I have been avoiding any form of gloating due to fear of my posts mysteriously falling silent Tongue , but since you mentioned it.

"Hello T.O.? How is the vacation?"

Keith Chisarik

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
LOL....well, you know what the Cowboys and a possum have in common don't you?

They play dead at home and get killed on the road. Crazy

Hopefully they will get their act together for next year....but I am rooting for the Cardinals now! BigGrin

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...