VFP DBC imports but tables ignored

Author
Roger Lightbody, Jr
StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am trying to import from a SQL database and am seeing the same issues, it imported my views ok, but no tables were imported.

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

Albert Einstein

Roger Lightbody, Jr
Roger Lightbody, Jr
StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (6 reputation)
Just went and downloaded the latest version of the beta (posted 8-27-08) and that fixed the problem for me.

http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic15687-22-2.aspx

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

Albert Einstein

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
My understanding is the version just prior to the last had problems importing tables from anything. the fix in the latest version seems to have fixed the importing of SQL tables but VFP tables are not coming in. ( Dustin says it works for him, but neither Edhy nor I can get it to import - all of us using the same test database that Edhy posted and the latest versions of DDT and of VFPOLEDB )

Sad

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Guys,

I have never tried to import a VFP database until now, I have an old product of ours to convert and I just started the project. I just wanted you to know that the DDT import worked and brought in all the tables and views in addition to creating the database.

There must be something to your environment, are you using VFP9 DBC? I know mine was.

If I can offer anything else to help you fix your issue please let me know.

I am attaching the database I imported, perhaps you can try this and get another data point towards a resolution.

Good luck.

Keith Chisarik

Attachments
Data.zip (131 views, 47.00 KB)
Dustin Taylor
Dustin Taylor
StrataFrame Team Member (484 reputation)
Whoops w00t

Trent just got back from vacation and I ran this by him. Turns out we are looking for VFP OLE DB version 8, not 9, on the DDT imports, so I told you wrong (Edhy and Charles). Any chance you guys could try swapping the .dll to version 8 and giving it another shot? I'd love to get to the bottom of why neither of you can get this working on your machines!

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Dustin Taylor (09/09/2008)
Whoops w00tTrent just got back from vacation

Somehow I got the impression at the training that he was not allow to take vacations without his notebook Hehe

Turns out we are looking for VFP OLE DB version 8, not 9, on the DDT imports, so I told you wrong (Edhy and Charles). Any chance you guys could try swapping the .dll to version 8 and giving it another shot? I'd love to get to the bottom of why neither of you can get this working on your machines!

I will see if I can get version 8 somewhere to test it.  But I am wondering, if the DDT is checking for specific version of the oldb, shouldn't the DDT display a warning message?

Edhy Rijo

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
Ouch. I think I may have the 8.0 version someplace and I guess since I really don't use the VFEOLEDB for anything else I can keep that one loaded if necessary. I'll try to test it and let you know.

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
DDT must be pretty fussy (at least in the latest version) I have now tested with vfpoledb.dll dated

11/04/05 and 10/15/07 and neither imports tables.

Could you just post the DLL you are using so we can test that?

(and Keith, would you check the date on the one you are using)

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
see attached file please

Keith Chisarik
Attachments
vfpoledb.zip (160 views, 767.00 KB)
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Well, let's just take out some of the variables and maybe you can determine what the issue is on your side.  Here is what is done within the DDT VFP table import:

1. Connection String = "Provider=VFPOLEDB;Data Source=C:\MyDBC.dbc"
  2. An OleDbConnection is created using the above specified connection string
  3. We then call the GetOleDbSchemaTable to get the tables within the DBC

Dim myTables As DataTable
    myTables = Connection.GetOleDbSchemaTable(OleDbSchemaGuid.Tables, New Object() {Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, "TABLE"})

4. This will retrieve all of the tables.  You can then get all of the columns for a table using this call on the same connection object:

Dim myColumns As DataTable
    myColumns = Connection.GetOleDbSchemaTable(OleDbSchemaGuid.Columns, New Object() {Nothing, Nothing, "TableName",Nothing})

That's it....so it would appear that one of these two calls are failing in your environments.  You might just want to create a test program and try this yourself to see if you can determine if an exception is being thrown.

Also, this should have abolsutely nothing to do with the latest build as this portion of the import wizard has not changed in a very long time and the import is working for us as well as a number of other users on this same build (even using the DBC provided by Edhy).

Let me know if you have any insight or exceptions thrown with the above code and then we may be able to figure out an all around solution.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...