Setting Collation for a New Database Install

Author
Geoff Hirst
StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Chaps,

Can I set the collation for a new database anywhere? If not, could this be added?

In the meantime, can I work around it by using a pre-deployment script?

thanks in advance

Geoff

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Actaully we ran into this just the other day ourselves and had to write a script to make sure that all databases are updated.  We did this in a pre-deploymkent script to make sure that our collation.  We have already added this functionality to the DDT, though, and will be in the next update we post.

Geoff Hirst
Geoff Hirst
StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)
Trent,

Thanks man, appreciated.

I did overcome it with a script also, however I found that redeploying caused major issues, unless I manually dropped the DB before hand.

Geoff

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Yeah, it was "fun" to get this working! BigGrin

I will try to do a build today and get it posted.

ChanKK
ChanKK
StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)
Hi,

Would this feature auto correct the existing field collation or only as database default collation?

Thank you
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Database. If you have field level collation issues then you will need to write a sproc to update each individual column to get that collation back in alignment. Once this is done, then the database collation should take effect from that point forward. We actually had to do this in the field the other day to correct a database that had been changed somehow for certain fields. Once we reset the individual fields again, then we were back on track.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...