SF Upgrade info request

Author
Doron Farber
StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Trent,

When I was in the training last year on July 2008, you told me that you guys working on new core for the SF engine. Also I was told that you will have a new Knowledge base that was actually more than a year ago. Also I was looking forward to see a web site sample which I thought will ready 2 months after last July (2008)  as you mentioned.

None of that is here, and lately your updates are getting thinner and thinner.  

All of us will appreciate very much of some concrete info about the framework and probably see more aggressive approach to the SF.

Thanks,

Doron

ChanKK
ChanKK
StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)
Doron Farber (05/22/2009)
Hi Trent,

When I was in the training last year on July 2008, you told me that you guys working on new core for the SF engine. Also I was told that you will have a new Knowledge base that was actually more than a year ago. Also I was looking forward to see a web site sample which I thought will ready 2 months after last July (2008) as you mentioned.

Doron

I almost forgotten all of the plans promised by SF ...

Doron, thank you for remind me Smile
dgsoft
dgsoft
StrataFrame Novice (123 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (123 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (123 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (123 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (123 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (123 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (123 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (123 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (123 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
It would be nice ... (also nice to have documentation like msdn online help.. function / description / parameters / examples of using / references etc).. (just a dream) Smile
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Doron,

If you will read through the forum and recall, we have put the knowledge base on hold for a while. We have a desire to do this at some point, and we will most likely roll this out with the next major version of the framework.

Now, in regards to your comments. These are not appreciated or called for. We have made over 300 changes (fixes and enhancements) this year alone. Some larger than others. The enhancements and features have not fallen off at all. Now I think I know why you are a bit disgruntled at this point, but if you want to have a constructive conversation, then great. Let's have a conversation. If you have an issue in moving forward, then post a question and let's help you through your problem. But casting aspersions will not get you anywhere with me or MicroFour.

Hopefully we can move forward and have a constructive conversation from this point forward.
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Hopefully, Doron was not presenting his questions with a deconstructive spirit...likely, they were offered from a spirit of curiosity.

Nevertheless, I feel compelled to offer my two cents. Web site examples and a KnowledgeBase (whatever that is?) are things that are certainly not necessary to development with the extremely fine framework called StrataFrame. In just over a year, I have been able to complete a single-handed, massive rewrite of our manufacturing software. The two things that I leaned on for help were:

1) Documentation (dgsoft, I am not sure where you are coming from. It is all there.)

2) Forums

That's it. There are soooo many code examples in the forums...more than I'll ever be able to review and use, but several snippets have helped me in my programming. The best knowledgebase that we all have is the forum. Before I hit the forums, I actually search the extremely usable documentation (yes, I read it...everyone should read it). I have learned a gob from the docs...there are very well-done!! So, a web site example...extra frosting on an already wonderfully crafted cake. A knowledgebase....you already have it...really. Search the docs, then the forums for your answers. If you do not find one, simply post a question and the answers will start flowing.

Our StrataFrame team is providing an excellent product and excellent support far above the market average. The team needs to be praised, not pushed. I am sure Doron, and many many other would join me in saying, "Marvelous work, StrataFrame gurus!! Hats off to you all!!!"
ChanKK
ChanKK
StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)
Doron,

First of all, I totally agree with what you mentioned, as SF help and forum provides a lot of information, sample code and idea for SF dev. However, I would say it is not easy for beginner.

Let image a beginner need to search here and there in order to get the starter kit project to work is totally unacceptable. As in my experience (my own company and community), most of them didn't want to choose SF at the first place is because they don't know how to start!

Beside, I don't agree that doc for web dev is good enough. As help doesn't mentioned how to use most of SF web control. Some of us might say that there are a lot of demo, doc, sample for SF windows based control which very similar with web dev. As we only can said "SIMILAR" but not 100% the same. We can't expect beginner to guess the usage. At first even by myself, certain experience on SF windows based dev also can't follow sometime. Most importantly, not many developers (especially in my country) outside of USA have experience on using framework like SF. They need more help! SF lost some "opportunity" in my country just because lack of documentation/knowledge.

Forum is one of the knowledgebase and the place to ask question as well. However, we are facing timezone issue here. Usually we are sleeping while SF team is supporting at forum.

Lastly, please do not misunderstand me; I DO like SF framework very much. I hope it could be better,

Thank you
Aaron Young
Aaron Young
StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I totally agree with Bill as I have effectively done the same as he in the last year. The information is there in the manuals and especially the forums. If I get stuck I can ask the developers direct and I know I will get a quick and effective response.

It has been suggested that SF is not easy or clear for a beginner and I suppose the question hinges on the definition of "beginner". 12 months ago I was a beginner in SF and I found the documentation and forums more than enough but I had the advantage of 27 years programming experience. If I was a beginner in programming generally, I am not sure I would hold Microfour responsible for overcoming this or providing me with application samples to improve my learning.

Personally, I doubt I would use a knowledgebase as I see nothing wrong with the existing help and forums. I have also only briefly taken a look at the Winform sample.

From my point of view, the development of the framework itself is more important.

Just my two cents.

Aaron

Doron Farber
Doron Farber
StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)StrataFrame User (146 reputation)
Hi Chan,

I think a nice sample web application as the StrataFlix will resolve many things. Hopefully that sample app will have its own documentation to clarify un know points. Many times I could NOT find things clear enough in the help file and the form was more helpful in many aspects. More sample code and more HowTo could be very desirable in the help file.
I mean realistic sample code for real issues of development.

Some Videos can help a lot as well. Many third party applications do just that. I really like otherwise SF and compared with many other frameworks that I really checked heavily and that can enable to develop a hybrid app like web and smart client in one box, and it is flexible enough for that direction.

Regards,

Doron 

ChanKK
ChanKK
Hi Doron,

Straight to the point!

Thank you very much.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...