UI_WHAT

Author
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Since I could not figure out why these maintenance form tool strips reverted to using the UI_Text format, I decided to revert all of the corrupted forms back to a previous revision. Source code control is a lifesaver.

My app is running just fine right now. Hopefully, I will be able to move on. It would be nice to know why the tool strips changed. Just so I do not repeat myself next time.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Bill, I don't understand what you are getting at here? What do you mean, UI_Text?
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Please look at the images I attached on the initial post.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
OK, it looks like you do not have all of your SF assemblies on the most recent version. It was not able to pull the localization text from the MicroFour StrataFrame UI assembly. Most likely this is what happened.

1. You loaded SF 1.7.

2. Not all assemblies were updated (as shown by some of your other screen shots).

3. While having reference issues, you opened a form designer with an SF Maintenance Form Toolstrip.

4. Since the old assemblies were either in the AppDomain or still in the GAC while other SF assemblies were in the references or AppDomain, the designer attempted to re-serialize the values.

5. Thus you were stuck with the UI_ labels.

6. Going back to source control would resolve this issue since the serialized text was showing as overwritten....or right-clicking the text and resetting it should have worked as well.

FYI, the localization for all of this HAS NOT CHANGED. I noticed that you made a comment in regards to localization changing. It hasn't nor have these keys.

Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
The suggestion that localization had changed in some way was only a guess on my part. The assemblies were out of whack which has caused a ton of problems in my code. This specific issue is resolved. Thanks!
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Cool Cool
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
Unbelievable.

ALL, and I mean ALL, maintenance form toolstrips are now showing the same thing (UI_New, UI_Browse, UI_Edit, UI_Delete, etc.)!

Angry

All I did was make a change to a report and added some small code changes to a button on one specific window. Then, I posted the code to the server. When I went back into my code to look at working on another change that a user requested, I encountered the text changed on the buttons on the toolstrip on the form that I wanted to edit. I checked on a number of other forms that have the same toolstrip. They all have reverted to the same thing. UGLY! I do not know when this happened.

This is now a huge problem...either I revert EVERY form back to a time when the form was correct (via code source) or I manually change EVERY form and fix the text on each property. Either way, the situation is grim. I already posted the updated code to the server. Users are downloading it and updating their clients as I am writing this. I cannot stop the rollout. They are going to have forms that look TERRIBLE!

What am I doing wrong? Why did this happen? Is there a solution to this somewhere? I thought I had this solved. But, I guess not.

Is anyone else running into this? If so what did you do to solve this problem?

Any help is certainly appreciated!
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
I picked one form to try to figure out what is going on...it is the PackingList.cs form. The last revision on the form is Tuesday, July 7th at 6:21pm. The stored revision is well before the update that I made to 1.7.0 (including the update to DevEx). The designer file matches the current working copy EXACTLY. Even if I revert to that revision, nothing will seem to change.

Stumped.
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
Is there any explanation for this? I do not want to revert any of my files to a previous revision. Not for this problem. The problem should NOT have occurred. Toolstrip customizations are a StrataFrame thing. How did I trigger a solution-wide revision of every toolstrip to use some kind of default localization-like constant?!? I'll admit, I probably did something to provoke this; however, I doubt it.

Btw, I did revert the file to a previous revision. Scary...it did not change back. The UI strings are still showing up incorrectly.

Crazy
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
There is something going on within your environment. Let's start with basics. Just FWIW, this code hasn't changed since version 1.5 of SF. So I really don't think that SF is doing anything here, otherwise the entire SF user base would be reporting this same issue.

Your localization environment of your application could have an effect, but I am going to need more details to help you work through this. If you look at the SF source code, the privates attempt to retrieve the localization value.

For example:

Private _NewButtonText As String = Localization.RetrieveTextValue("UI_New", "New")

This is done at this point to allow the value to be overwritten via the designer. So it sounds to me like you have one of several issues going on. Before I get into each point, do the following:

1. Create a new SF application

2. Create a form and drop on a Maintenance Form Toolstrip

3. Build the project

4. Run the project

5. Get out of VS

6. Re-open the dialog with the MFTS

7. At this point, are the values showing the UI_New, etc. keys?

if the above did not fail, then you have something going on within your project, if not, then you have something going on within your development environment. This will help to know which way to nudge you.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...