Click-Once Publishing "Stuck"

Author
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I publish my updates to a network location. Actually, there are two locations. The first location, which is on my local subnet, has no problems. The second, remote location does get the app published and everyone can install it and use it; however, my Visual Studio remains in a "Publishing..." state. The browser page stating the publication has been successful does show up. All of the necessary files are on the network share. VS2008 just doesn't want to finish the job. Has anyone run into this? Any VS2008 clean-up tricks I should employ?

Thanks!

Bill
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I had this problem and beat my head on it for a while, what helped me was to open the Output Window during the publish, VS had put errors there that would not otherwise have been displayed. Once I found that I was able to troubleshoot. Hope it helps.

Keith Chisarik
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Thanks, Keith,

This is all I am getting from the Output window:

========== Build: 11 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Building Aspire.SF...

Connecting to '\\Spmonroe\Monroe\Deployment\AspireSF\'...

Publishing files...

I left this run overnight once last week, but it never finished. It is still running at the moment. I've been searching in hopes of stumbling across something before I cancel my build, again.
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
I just ran a "Rebuild All" on my solution and on the first project, I got the following error:

error CS0006: Metadata file 'C:\Aspire Projects\AspireSF\AspireModel\bin\Debug\AspireModel.dll' could not be found

Each project generated a similar error. I'll close VS2008 and try again.
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
Restarting the IDE did not work. Crying I have to step out for a bit. I'll get back to this around lunch time.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Is that file added to the list of published files?
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
Greg, the file (and all the others with errors) are all included. This little publishing routine has worked up until late last week.

While testing some changes to my application in order to resolve potential hangups in the publishing of the app, I ran into this really neat error when closing the app:

DisconnectedContext was detected

Message: Context 0x34c17a0' is disconnected. Releasing the interfaces from the current context (context 0x34c1630).This may cause corruption or data loss. To avoid this problem, please ensure that all contexts/apartments stay alive until the applicationis completely done with the RuntimeCallableWrappers that represent COM components that liveinside them.

Can you say, "gobbledygook"?

As soon as I get past this error, I will try another publication to the remote server. Hope to have some results to release soon.

Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
Ok...after managing several necessary updates for our clients, I was able to get back to a point where I can publish the application, again. The local subnet went off without a hitch. The remote subnet is publishing now. It usually takes about 10 minutes.

(time passes)

The build is stuck. Same output:

Building Aspire.SF...

Connecting to '\\Spmonroe\Monroe\Deployment\AspireSF\'...

Publishing files...

Bummer. The interesting thing is that the remote location has all of the files that it needs to update the app. It works fine on their end. The publishing process just doesn't want to let go.

Well, I will look further and see what I can come up with. This seems to be another one of those annoying Visual Studio things.
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
I spent extra time clearing out ALL warnings in my build. There were about 26 that have been hanging around for a while...mostly just clean up related items. Even with them out of the picture, I still am having trouble. Now, though, it is worse. I published the app to my local subnet. It is stalling at the same point as the publication to the remote subnet. This time, though, there is no auto-generated web page, so I doubt it actually finished. The status is 'Ready' and the Output windows says:

That's it. The rest of the application properties window is disabled. I am stuck.

Canceling the publication and build. Time to remove temp files and such and try again.
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
"Hi. My name is Bill. I am a Visual Studio user."

When I closed the IDE this last time, a documentation update fired. I have no idea why there is suddenly a documentation update. I have not installed something new in quite a while. There have been many builds and exits since the last updates. This took quite a few minutes (as always). After that, I decided to fire up the IDE and publish locally. There were no issue. Then, I pushed the application out to the remote subnet...

There were no issues. It worked.

Pinch

Go figure.

I guess the real problem might be the fact that in spite of these unusual, unsolveable problems, I am still using the IDE.

I am addicted.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...