Updating applications?

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Have anybody used the "AppLife Update" from Kinetic Jump?

www.KineticJump.com/vspromo

I am looking for an application update solution and will check this out.

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I've not used it, but it looks pretty cool.
Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Looks very interesting.  I'm going to check it out too.  Thanks.

I've also heard of True Update but have never used it:

http://www.indigorose.com/trueupdate/overview-true-update/

Russ Brown (Using C#2010/SQL Server 2008)

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Russell,

Thanks for the link on "True Update", I looked at their web and its price is very affordable even though it is not a .NET based product which I like about AppLife Update giving us more flexibility and control from our .Net applications, but the price is higher around US$800.00

Edhy Rijo

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)
AppLife is definitely better.

You can do a lot with the free Limited license too.

http://www.kineticjump.com/update/nethelp/default.htm

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
I was hoping this would be a very nice replacement for ClickOnce(more). However, it only does updates. You have to do the initial installation via some other method. If anyone has any brilliant ideas related to the initial install, please share!
Edhy Rijo
E
Greg McGuffey (09/16/2009)
If anyone has any brilliant ideas related to the initial install, please share!

Hi Greg,

Well, I use InstallAware (IA) for the initial install, and right now I am also using the IA update feature which works fine, but there is not control from a License Manager perspective, so it is either update everybody or nobody with IA.

I am looking for a complete License Manager and update product, but unfortunately I have not found anything complete.

In my VFP applications I use Protection Plus and it is pretty good but then they do not have full support for .NET just yet and also they do not handle the updates.

Edhy Rijo

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
I use InstallShield for the install only because I've already invested so much time and money into it, otherwise I would probably switch to InstallAWare, and am looking at using Shareit for licensing.  They have reasonable rates and would take the hassle out of licenses, registration, etc. 

http://www.shareit.com/publisher.html?pid=feature&sessionid=1386280708&random=69bf087273bc021ad74514b104929ef9#sell

I notice that a lot of software companies used Shareit.

Edhy Rijo
E
Russell Scott Brown (09/16/2009)
... and am looking at using Shareit for licensing. They have reasonable rates and would take the hassle out of licenses, registration, etc.

Thanks for the info Russell.

In my case I need to handle licensing since this project will use the subscription model for support and updates (pretty much like SF) and I must control which license is allow to be updated based on the subscription status. So every year or so there will be a new license release and only those with current subscription will be allowed to update their systems.

Edhy Rijo

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
Sounds like a a potential great new product idea for Strataframe!

They already do these types of things with Strataframe and Practice Studio, etc.  I think it would be a nice addition to combine something like what AppLife Update does for updates and what Shareit does for Licensing and Registration.

Just think how amazingly convenient that would be for anyone who already uses Strataframe?

Stratraframe Updates and Licensing.  Has a nice sound to it, don't you think?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...