SQL 2008 Support

Author
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Hi William.

The developing team is in a period of vacation and as soon as they are back I will forward your request and get back to you.

I haven't tried the VS 2010 Database Project, and so tried to have a look around and see what people are talking about it. It seems like a project to house your scripts and help you deploy them, so far it looks like to me it is far from all the automation DDT gives you, but I would definitely need to study it a bit deeper.

Cheers.
William Fields
William Fields
StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Thanks for the response, we'll look forward to what the dev team comes back with.

In addition to feedback on DDT update status, any information that would help us to move forward with our "DDT vs VS2010 Database Projects" discussions would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately we're newbies to both, which puts us at a disadvantage in attempting an accurate comparison.

Wishing you and yours a Very Happy New Year and Prosperous 2011!

Bill
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Thanks Bill.

All the best for you all too! Cool
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Bill,

I've done a little digging and the new VS database projects look very nice. It looks like they provide intellisense and validation (ensuring that any referenced objects exists..i.e. that all the tables/columns exists, that called sprocs exists etc.).   It also has some very nice deployment tools, including handling some tough situations like renaming of columns (apparently, if you refactor the name of a column/table, it tracks this and then uses that info to not delete the renamed item, but rather calls the rename sproc instead...nice).   It appears to be able to generate an update script by comparing the current schema to an existing database. If you are real comfortable with SQL scripts and you want to treat your scripts like source code, thus being able to check it into source control to enable diffing and history for the script, the VS db project looks very nice.

Based on what I've read, it seems that it would work well for a typical internal app, where you have development db(s), a test db and a production db.  You could then just use VS to connect to each of these, generate the update script and you're good.  However, if you have customers using your app and thus have many installations of your app/db, then the DDT is way more flexible, as you can deploy the current schema as a package to any installation and it will figure out how to update that db to the current version. Doing this with the VS tools would require deploying every possible update script, determining what version they had, then looking up the correct script.  Really, if you have to manage a set of deployments (not a single production db), the DDT is still the way to go.  If you have a single production db to deal with, then the VS db project might work.

I have only done a bit of reading, so I'd do some testing first. I'd test the following for VS projects:
  • Use an existing project to load the scripts, then take a look and see how that worked.  I'd want to know what it does with sprocs/functions/views etc.  Does it include comments before a sproc or table? (I often times add comments so I remember what the heck a table is for or what a sproc is supposed to be doing.)
  • Check how intellisense works. Does it require a live connection to the db?  How does it handle new columns/tables/etc. that haven't been deployed yet?
  • Rename a table (using refactoring) and see if I can deploy it without dropping the table (test this on a dev db, in case it does drop the table).
  • Rename a column (using refactoring) and see if it can deploy the change without dropping the table.
  • Test deployment to a dummy test and dummy prod db.  I.e. if I have an up-to-date dev db, how hard is it to update a test db that is a bit out of synch and then update a prod db that is quite out of synch.  I'd start with three copies of db, in synch. I'd make a couple of changes to dev, deploying them, then deploy to test. Repeat that 3 times, so the third db is quite out of synch and then try to synch it. 
  • Test how to deal with data deployment, i.e. for static data/configuration data.  Apparently there are pre and post deployment scripts within the project. How would these be used to get configuration data/default users loaded into a db?  How would you handle situations where you only want to deploy data no data exists?  The DDT really handles this stuff nicely. I'm guessing it would be a lot more work using db projects. 
I hope this helps you in your investigation. As I get time I'll try to do some of these tests myself. When I do, I'll report back. 

Have a great holiday season!
William Fields
William Fields
StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Thank you Greg, that's very helpful.

I've found that the level of Visual Studio is significant as well. As I understand it, Database Refactoring and Schema Compare capabilities are only available in VS2010 Premium or Ultimate (please correct me if I'm wrong). Without these capabilities, it would seem the value of the deployment experience in VS2010 Database Projects would be diminished.

Bill
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Good catch. That is correct, these features are only available in premium and ultimate. Guess I won't be testing this soon (I have pro).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vstsdb/archive/2009/10/19/what-s-new-for-data-dude-in-visual-studio-2010.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/product-comparison
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...