InstallAware releases VS2010 .Net 4.0 Framework Runtimes....

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi guys,

For those of you using InstallAware they just released an update to add the .Net 4.0 Framework runtimes, here are the links:

Edhy Rijo

Dustin Taylor
Dustin Taylor
StrataFrame Team Member (484 reputation)
Thanks for the heads up! Smile
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
More info from IA posted on 4/23/2010 ....

If anyone has trouble installing .NET 4 assemblies into the GAC, please see this thread for a solution:

http://www.installaware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5579

Edhy Rijo

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am not sure that I can ask a particular person for a response. If it is not correct please let me know. I just happen to see that Edhy is using a product I just purchased.

Edhy I see that you use InstallAware. I just bit the bullet bought it and installed it. V10.10 and I tried building my first Setup this morning and I get an error that says "Unable to compile MSI Action Install Assembly".  The question is not how to solve my problem since that I will have to work through but do you have any recommendations? Do you use InstallAware with SQL Express? and do you have any suggestions?
TIA.

If I should not have asked Edhy I apologize and will put a general question on the forum.

Edhy Rijo
E
Hi Terry,

No need to apologize at all.  You can ask as many questions as you want, even you don't get the answers your are looking for. Hehe

I have been using IA for several years and in my opinion it is pretty good, a bit pricey but good and solid.  I don't have the latest version 10 so I cannot comment on the new features.

I do not install MS-SQL Express database with IA since I have not had the need and the MS setup does a pretty good job.  I do use IA to install all my applications, services and in some of them use the update feature in IA.  I have done some complicated installations, at least for me <smile!> and like any new tool, I recommend you read the documentation and start with a test project and a couple of Virtual Machine computers to test your installation.

For .Net applications, with IA you can install the assemblies in the Windows folder or in your application folder.  Also the unique IA scripting feature give you a lot of power to manipulate your setups.

Again, if you have any question, feel free to ask, but I guess you will get better response in the IA forums.  All my setups are very unique since I like to make it easier for my customers to install my applications without any hassle or support calls.

Edhy Rijo

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)
So when you say you don't use it with SQL Express does that mean you just include the exe with your package and have them install it the way you and I do?

If I tell IA to install dot NET 3.5 does it have to install dot NET 2 and so forth?

I have DDT but have not really used it since most of my work has been with data bases that have already existed. Therefore I think I can use DDT to read the meta data, stored procs and so forth to create a Pkg. Do you incorportate the pkg into IA or how do you get the database, tables, stored procs and data onto your clients machines?

Wow you opened the flood gates when you said I could ask questions. Thank you so much.
Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Ops I forgot one question. What software do you use for your Virtual Machines?
TIA
Edhy Rijo
E
Terry Bottorff (5/26/2011)
So when you say you don't use it with SQL Express does that mean you just include the exe with your package and have them install it the way you and I do?

In my case, yes.  100% of the time, we do the initial install of the application which includes installing the database, and I found it easier to just use the MS packaged setup.  Also if I remember correctly, for MS-SQL 2008 Microsoft did something that makes it a bit difficult for 3rd party installers to take care of the installation without hassle, it is not impossible to do, but last time I checked (a year or more) it was not a straight forward process.

If I tell IA to install dot NET 3.5 does it have to install dot NET 2 and so forth?

When you select a runtime from the IA runtimes screen, it will let you know if any of the runtime packages needs any supporting version.  So it is just a matter to select the runtime you need.  Also be sure to read about the IA Web Media Blocks (WMB) feature which will basically repackage any runtime using the great IA compression logic which is much better than the one used for MSI and allow you to place those Web Media Block in a common repository folder in your web or ftp so your installation will simply download the ones needed by a particular workstation.  Using Web Media Blocks, allows you to have a much smaller setup file and you can use those WMB with other IA installations.

I have DDT but have not really used it since most of my work has been with data bases that have already existed. Therefore I think I can use DDT to read the meta data, stored procs and so forth to create a Pkg. Do you incorportate the pkg into IA or how do you get the database, tables, stored procs and data onto your clients machines?

I heavily use the DDT, in fact it was one of the feature that helped me decide to buy StrataFrame.  Even though IA allows you to run .Net classes, the way the StrataFrame setup deploys their sample database, I prefer to have this logic in my own application where I have total control of the process.  I have created a fully automated process that will detect any update, download it, install it, and update a table with the version information, so other workstations will update as well when new version is detected.  This process is very unique to my applications and my logic, and I use AppLife Update to help me with the update features, it is much better than the IA updates, and you have total control of the update process, AppLife Update is just amazing.

Wow you opened the flood gates when you said I could ask questions. Thank you so much.

No problem, you are lucky I am available today!!!  Be aware that preparing setups could be difficult and time is needed to plan ahead the way you want your installations to work.  IA will help you a lot, but it will required some training time.  Like in SF, take some time to browse through the IA forums when looking for specific functionality, there are lot of information in their forums which still apply to the newer versions of IA, as well as great MVPs able to help and share information.

Good luck!

Edhy Rijo

Edhy Rijo
E
Terry Bottorff (5/26/2011)
Ops I forgot one question. What software do you use for your Virtual Machines?
TIA

I use VMware Workstation because I still have some old VFP applications that I need to maintain, and found out that having all VFP tools in a VM has proof to be worthy specially when your main computer crash and need to build a VFP patch on the laptop.

But if you don't have those needs, then the free version VMware Player will do just fine, much better than Virtual PC since it will let you install Server OS as VM so you can have your very own VM network to test your application functionality.

Edhy Rijo

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Cool. Thanks. I have already spent a great deal of time on IA's site.
Off to check out VM Ware.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...