ExcelHelper questions

Author
Alex Luyando
StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi all -

Starting to work with the ExcelHelper to export to (and eventually import from) Excel-formatted files. So far it's a glass half full/half empty situation for me--literally! I've setup a generic user control to use on my StrataFrame forms to provide export and other capabilities, and eight out of sixteen BOs are successfully exported. Smile Of course that means eight out of sixteen are not! Sad

The errors I'm seeing are:
  1. Specified cast is not valid.
  2. Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement. 
  3. The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data.
I'm getting the idea this is a semi-fragile feature, and perhaps that's why there's so few postings about it?

My questions/cries for help include:

1. I was looking to trace into the ExcelHelper to determine the exact BO row/column that it finds offensive, but don't see the code... How do I get it? I have the StrataFrame source code and have traced into it on occasion; is this a separate distribution or not distributed?
  2. Looked in the StrataFrame help, but only see basic info there; nothing I could use to help troubleshoot this. Any place to get help on this?
  3. I plan on using it for Importing, but don't see anything that talks to requirements of the in-coming Excel file, etc. 

Any help that you all can throw my way is much appreciated!

TIA

Alex Luyando
StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)StrataFrame User (208 reputation)
Nobody? Sad

Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Sorry Alex, I have not touched this component. I use a third-party one to deal with Excel and spreadsheets. Hopefuly someone else will jump in and give you some feedback.
Alex Luyando
Alex Luyando
Hi Ivan.

No problem. What do you use? Happy with it?

Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (3.4K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Hiya.

I use Grapecity's Spread for Windows.

Yep, great product. I got it syncked with SF BusinessBindingSource and am able to save spreadsheet cell formulas to the database.
Ger Cannoll
Ger Cannoll
Advanced StrataFrame User (628 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (628 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (628 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (628 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (628 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (628 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (628 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (628 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (628 reputation)
Hi Alex.

I've used a tool from GemBox in a number of different projects and found it quite easy to use. Before that (IN VFP) had been automating Excel, but Gembox does not require Excel to be installed,  and is also about 10 times faster than automation. Had all the functionality I required to create Excel Files , Multiple Sheets within a file etc. As far as I can remember it cost around $300 . I have not tried it yet directly with SF, just from datasets/ commands.

Regards,

Gerard

Alex Luyando
Alex Luyando
Thanks Ivan and Gerard... appreciate the recommendations!

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...