New VSIX with VS2010 and VS2015?

Author
Andrew Harper
StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Ben,

Glad to see that you have got the new VSIX working on VS2015 with Edhy.

All of our production projects are currently developed using VS2010. I have VS2015 installed alongside VS2010 on my development machine for testing.

If I install the new VSIX for VS2015 will the VS2010 development environment continue to work or is it an either/or scenario?

Best regards,

Andrew Harper 
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Andrew,

Andrew Harper (10/15/2015)
...If I install the new VSIX for VS2015 will the VS2010 development environment continue to work or is it an either/or scenario?

StrataFrame uses Visual Studio addin technology for any version prior VS2015, and for VS2015 they use the Visual Studio Install Extension (.VSIX), so they both can be manage independently but the key is that StrataFrame will use the same 2 libraries included in Ben's zip file "MicroFour StrataFrame AddIns.dll" and "MicroFour StrataFrame Extensibility.dll" to support SF menu options and these dlls must be installed in the GAC.

With that in mind, I will assume that your VS2010 addin may be broken when you install the VSIX, in fact you would have to disable it in the VS addin manager, so make backup of those two files which are normally installed in your Common File folder which varies if using x64 or x86 OS. in case you want to go back, simple re-use those 2 dll and re-register them in the GAC, or just re-install current SF setup.

Honestly, I believe that both VS will work just fine with the VSIX.  Make backups of your solutions and projects before opening them with VS2015.  You will like VS2010 more in contrast to VS2010.

Enjoy it!!!

Edhy Rijo

Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)
Thanks for the reply Edhy.

I uninstalled the DLL's and reinstalled and vs2015 is now working as expected and so too is vs2010 - all good!

One thing I did find though when trying to uninstall the assemblies from the VS2015 Developer command prompt was that

gacutil.exe -u "MicroFour StrataFrame AddIns.dll"
gacutil.exe -u "MicroFour StrataFrame Extensibility.dll"

did not work. Instead I had to use

gacutil.exe -u "MicroFour StrataFrame AddIns"
gacutil.exe -u "MicroFour StrataFrame Extensibility"

Best regards, Andy

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the confirmation and also for the clarification on uninstalling the assemblies, Ben noticed the same also when testing in my computer and I forgot to mentioning here.

Glad it is working out for you too.

Edhy Rijo

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Am I correct that the installer does not install the VS addin's any longer (at least for VS2015)?

I see a lot of posts that I would rather not fight through, if the above is true is there a set of final instructions the developers, or people currently supporting the product, believe to be correct that can be posted?

I saw Ben's post here, but it seems incomplete.

Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Hi Keith.

Not sure you have found this following thread already, but Edhy has worked with Ben on getting this to work and he posted some steps to accomplish that.
I haven't tried it yet, but I am sure Edhy will jump in too and give some advices. In case you haven't seen it, here it is:

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Ivan thank you. I had not found that one and it is more concise than any other I had found, Ill try those steps and report back. 

That being said, the product should have an installer that supports VS2015. 

I hope I don't have the issues I have read about on these forums upgrading and using VS2015. 

Keith Chisarik
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
You're most welcome, Keith.

I hope it works fine for you. Wink
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
Install VSIX before or after the manual steps mentioned?

Keith Chisarik
Edited 8 Years Ago by Keith Chisarik
Edhy Rijo
E
Hi Chris,

I reviewed this link http://forum.strataframe.net/FindPost33282.aspx and updated the steps for the installation.

Please let us know if this is helpful.

Edhy Rijo

Edited 8 Years Ago by Edhy Rijo
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...