Deploying data via a TCP/IP connection to database

Author
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (3.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would like to deploy packages remotely. Is it possible to use a TCP/IP library with the Dbengine? This is how I've connected normal SF apps to remote db via a vpn. Or is there another way? I'm cautious about installing an app on a production db server.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
SQL Server fully supports TCP/IP as does the DDT.  If the specified host name or IP can be resolved and the SQL Server accessed and authenticated, then the DDT can deploy to it.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
I knew that SQL server supports TCP/IP, as I've been using it for a couple of years with my app Tongue

I'm glad DDT supports it too BigGrin

Now, how? I've attempted to deploy my security db right from DDT to my remote server. It bombs. I know I have a connection to the server, as SQL Server Management Studio is connected, via TCP/IP (and I've deployed a number of other changes to the db through it). I tried the server name, the IP and the IP:port. All failed, reporting that a connection to SQL server couldn't be established, and to try my settings again.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (9.8K reputation)
At what point does it "bomb" and how are you attempting to deploy it?  Are you using the DatabaseMigrator class or deploying through the DDT?  Also, what type of connection is this?  If there is a VPN then there should be no issue, but if these are just exposed ports then there could be some issue there in the connection.

We use SMO (the same thing as SQL Server Management Studio) to actually connect to the server.  We authenticate the connection first before doing anything else.

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
At what point does it "bomb"

When authenticating, on page with server name and authentication information.

how are you attempting to deploy it? Are you using the DatabaseMigrator class or deploying through the DDT?

Using the deploy database wizard directly in the DDT

Also, what type of connection is this?

I have access to port 1433 and terminal services on port 3389.

If there is a VPN then there should be no issue, but if these are just exposed ports then there could be some issue there in the connection.

Whenever I connect to the db, I have to indicate the network library to use and also use the IP. This is how I connected to it within SQL Server Management Studio.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
More than likely there is a port that you do not have access to.  Have you tried to put a packet sniffer on the network to see what ports are trying to be accessed?  This is how we figure out those types of issues.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Well, I did some sniffing....and it worked. The DDT had no problem connecting. I'm guessing I probably fubared typing in the password, or used a non-server admin account or something stupid like that. Thanks for the help and sorry for the trouble. Blush
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Well, I didn't think it made any sense Smile  I am glad you got it working.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...