ListBox Control not rendering

Author
Andrew Harper
StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi,

I am getting the error message below displayed on a web form in design mode after exiting from the PopulationDataSourceSettings builder:

Immediately below the listbox are DropDownList and ListView Controls both of which display details from the ProductRangeBO correctly when the form is run.

I am using VS2008 and SQL Server 2008 on a Windows XP notebook for development. The notebook also has VS2003, VS2005 & VS2010 installed on it. I have version 1.7.3 of Stratrame installed according the the Help about screen in VS.

Any suggestions most gratefully received,

TIA,

Andy
Replies
Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)
Hi Trent,

Back from a week off - I loaded VS2010 and latest version of strataframe into a Windows 7 VM. Still can't generate Listbox - suspect that this is a bug in Strataframe.

Best regards,

Andy
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Could be, I still haven't looked...sorry Blush

Listbox is not a very commonly used control as there are so many better controls that have taken its place.  So I will add this to my list and get on it.  Sorry for the delay.
Michel Levy
Michel Levy
StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)
Hi Trent,

not that I use this control, but I'm writing an article in french, presenting all SF lists and combos controls, both for winforms and webforms. And I confirm that this ListBox does not render in designer mode.

I may write the aspx code in source mode:

<SFWeb:ListBox ID="ListBox1" runat="server" PopulationType="BusinessObject" 
            Width="189px" Height="131px">
            <PopulationDataSourceSettings BusinessObjectType="WebApplication13.BOcategories" 
                DisplayFieldNamesAlternate="categoryid|categoryname|"  
                FormatString="{1}" MethodToExecute="Data4List;" ValueMember="categoryid" />
        </SFWeb:ListBox>

• I get that message (see listbox1.png attached)

• If I launch the designer after having written the code, all seems OK (see listbox2.png attached):

• And if I validate the designer by clicking OK, the result is... (see listbox3.png attached)

Hope it will help.
Attachments
listbox1.png (174 views, 13.00 KB)
listbox3.png (174 views, 28.00 KB)
listbox2.png (183 views, 66.00 KB)
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Michel:

All if this looks great.  You are correct that the ASPX doesn't rendering in the designer. This is functioning as it is supposed to.  I did notice that the designer is not in French, was this one of your concerns? 
Michel Levy
Michel Levy
StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)StrataFrame User (329 reputation)
Trent,

my concern is not that the designer is not in french (hope it will be soon Cool ). No, my real concern is that it is impossible to design this control in the designer (and radiobuttonlist and checkboxlist and bulletedlist, too). The code generated by the designer is wrong.
Edited 12 Years Ago by Michel Levy
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Hmmmm....I have a number of folks that use the designer on a regular basis.  In fact, a week or so ago I sent a sample to someone using the designer and it worked. I will have to see if I can reproduce your steps.  The ListView is the primary list control used on the web side, and so this is what is generally used.  So you may be right on some of the lesser used controls.  I will take a look at this.

In truth, some of the controls will be getting face-lifts soon anyway.  The entire designer environment will be getting a face-list as well.  In SF 2.0 we will localize all of the design-time dialogs as well.  So you will be getting some lists to translate when we get to that point. Smile
Michel Levy
Michel Levy
Trent,

Don't worry about this listview, I prefer you focus all your brain on 2.0 Rolleyes
you know that french SF user either develop winforms app, either use third party controls for their web development, so nothing is urgent here.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Consider my brains dedicated to SF 2.0 Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
Andrew Harper - 13 Years Ago
Greg McGuffey - 13 Years Ago
Trent L. Taylor - 13 Years Ago
                         Hi Trent, Thanks for the explanation. It was set up as a Web Site. I...
                         Still having problem with the builders: 1. I installed StrataFrame on...
                             Hi Andrew. See if this one helps you:...
Ivan George Borges - 13 Years Ago
                                 Hi Ivan, Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I downloaded the...
                                     Hi Andrew. I am sorry the link didn't help. I am not your best bet...
Ivan George Borges - 13 Years Ago
                                         Andrew, I have been doing a lot of SF web development lately, but I...
                                             Thanks Trent. Could you please post sample of what the builder...
                                             Hi Trent, Back from a week off - I loaded VS2010 and latest version...
                                                 Could be, I still haven't looked...sorry :blush: Listbox is not a...
                                                     Hi Trent, not that I use this control, but I'm writing an article in...
Michel Levy - 12 Years Ago
                                                         Michel: All if this looks great. You are correct that the ASPX...
Trent L. Taylor - 12 Years Ago
                                                             Trent, my concern is not that the designer is not in french (hope it...
                                                                 Hmmmm....I have a number of folks that use the designer on a regular...
                                                                     Trent, Don't worry about this listview, I prefer you focus all your...
                                                                         Consider my brains dedicated to SF 2.0 :)