SF 2.0?

Author
Chan
Advanced StrataFrame User (603 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (603 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (603 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (603 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (603 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (603 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (603 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (603 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (603 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I was hearing about SF 2.0 for quite a long time, which mentioned will be including a lot of fanstatic features such as LINQ support, ORM mapper and etc. I would like to know, what is your roadmap for this? Will it be 2008, 2009 or... all this features will be released incrementally?

Thank you
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
LINQ is on hold until there are some vast performance improvements.  To execute a single query, LINQ goes through 4 layers of XML mappings, which is fine when dealing with a small application and dtabase but when producing real-world large scale applications, there are just some major performance issues.  We are all excited about an integrated query language, but from all of our research and testing there is still a long way to go here.   We will be adding some hooks for those developers who just "must" have it...but this not currently a priority.  StrataFrame is a tool that is expected to direct developers down the path of following best-practices and standards...and we feel that we would be remiss in recommeding LINQ for any real-world application development.  It is nice in the classroom, but in a commercial application it could get a software development company in trouble.But to answer your question, we will be releasing things incrementally.  There have been some large improvements to the DDT in the 1.6.6 build and there will continue to be new features added prior to the official 1.6.6 release in both the DDT and the framework.  We will then be reworking the BO Mapper and adding a lot of new functionality and code genereation options (i.e. make it easier to create Custom Properties, etc. through the BO Mapper, expose child BOs, etc.).
Edited 12 Years Ago by Trent L. Taylor
Geoff Hirst
Geoff Hirst
StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Guys,

Glad to hear someone else thinks the same about linq. I thought I was doing something wrong with it.

As you say, it's a real utopia to aim for is what linq can bring to the table but my experience is that it's still for MS Tech Ed demos and not real world stuff.

Looking forward to the next iteration of 1.6.6.

best

Geoff.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
As you say, it's a real utopia to aim for is what linq can bring to the table but my experience is that it's still for MS Tech Ed demos and not real world stuff.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Smile

hector
hector
StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Trent,

Could you please tell us what's new in SF 2.0 in Web Side (Not Desktop)?
Any new controls? for example Browse Dialog for Web etc.?

Kind regards...
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
I can't tell you all of the controls, but I can tell you this.  The one thing that we intend to do on the web side this go around is to make sure that you have many of the tools that you do on the desktop side.  Obviously not all of the tools make sense, but application level controls such as a browse "dialog", even though it won't be a dialog, would be a good example. 

There will be far more templates and RAD tools.  In code and within the designer.  This will translate to both the desktop side as well as the web side.  Take localization for example.  At the moment, there are too many steps to localize while you are coding.  In the code window, you will be able to create a new localization key without having to pop out and go over to a localization editor.  Same through designers.

We will stay true to our current philosophy of allowing you to make changes after the code is generated for a BO.  But there will be more "code generation" and template code that you will be able to implement.

Once we get to the point of showing things that will be making it into the framework for sure we will start posting videos.  This is still a ways out, but we are very excited about SF 2.0 also...remember we use it too!
João Evangelista Bezerra...
João Evangelista Bezerra de Sousa
StrataFrame Beginner (28 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (28 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (28 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (28 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (28 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (28 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (28 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (28 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (28 reputation)
Hi Trent,

I wonder when will be released the 2.0 version of SF. Is there any prediction? I'm anxious to see the new interface controls, especially new constroles for WPF?

Thank you!
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Hrm... Joao, a teaser, just for you... This might cause things to explode Smile

A screenshot of the new editor for the entities.  We still have a few things to wrap up before the beta.  Coding in in SFv1 is like working in the Stone Age compared to the new stuff.
Attachments
Dark Theme.png (268 views, 132.00 KB)
Michel Levy
Michel Levy
StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)
Wow !!!!!! w00t
Olivier
Olivier
StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)
Great , i wait it impatiently !

==============================================
Asp.net C# - Strataframe - telerik
==============================================
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...