The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Author
Jeff Pagley
StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi SF Team,

I know it is Saturday, but I am trying to setup Enterprise Server to test.  I have taken the time to read several posts on the forum to resolve this error, but to no avail and I am lost.  One thing is I can successfully load the test website's default.htm page to make sure the site is up and running.  One of the posts suggest to test to see if ES is running by trying to access the status.aspx page.   I attempted to do this and I get this Server Error page:

Server Error in '/ES' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'InstantASP.Common' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\web.config line 80)

Source Error:

Line 78: <httpModules> Line 79: <!-- HttpModule used to manage user authentication -->Line 80: <add type="InstantASP.Common.HttpModule.SecurityModule, InstantASP.Common" name="SecurityModule"/>Line 81: <!-- HttpModule used to perform dynamic URL rewriting -->Line 82: <add type="InstantASP.Common.HttpModule.RewriterModule, InstantASP.Common" name="RewriterModule"/>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\web.config    Line: 80

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1873; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

Before I go into anymore detail, I figure I need to make sure I can successfully load this page before anything else will start to work. What is the problem?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Pagley
Jeff Pagley
StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)StrataFrame User (303 reputation)
Hi SF Team,

Any status on getting help with my error?

Thanks,

Jeff

Dustin Taylor
Dustin Taylor
StrataFrame Team Member (484 reputation)
Hey Jeff,

Sorry for the delay on this. That error looks to be related to loading components of an InstantASP product, not enterprise server. We don't use any InstantASP binaries or the like within Enterprise Server, so that particular error message is happening outside of the ES itself.

A couple quick questions just to get a lay of the land:

1) Did you use the .exe to install ES or the compressed .zip manuall install?

2) Did you load it on a server OS or a workstation OS?

3) Do you have any other sites running? That error looks like it is coming from a web.config created or modified to use with a web forum, FAQ, or the like.

Thanks!

Dustin

Jeff Pagley
Jeff Pagley
1) Did you use the .exe to install ES or the compressed .zip manuall install?

I used the compressed .zip manual install.

2) Did you load it on a server OS or a workstation OS?

I used an old Windows 2000 Terminal Server running IIS with a our forum running on it.

3) Do you have any other sites running? That error looks like it is coming from a web.config created or modified to use with a web forum, FAQ, or the like.

I thought the web.config supplied with ES is the one ES is using and not the web forum's web.config...right? I don't have any other sites running, but I do have an WindowXP machine I can install IIS on if this will work for testing purposes.

If I need to change machines then I will need my ES licenses reset.  Also, when I enter the URL for the license info, do I enter the www.mysite.com OR www.mysite.com/es (includes the virtual directory name)?

Thanks,

Jeff

Dustin Taylor
Dustin Taylor
The address you go to depends on how you configure ES, most likely the /es subdomain.

Can you post the full Web.config for me?  I just downloaded the web.config from the strataframe site, and below is the unconfigured file, with no mention of InstanASP. Sounds like they got mixed up somehow on your server.

Also, would loading from the .exe be an option? That might help everything get lined up without issue.

Here is my unconfigured, unaltered web.config file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

<appSettings>

<add key="StatusIpAddresses" value="127.0.0.1" />

<add key="OtherEsServers" value="" />

<add key="SmtpFromAddress" value="es@domain.com" />

<add key="SmtpToAddresses" value="admin@mydomain.com;admin2@mydomain.com" />

<add key="SmtpServer" value="127.0.0.1" />

<add key="SmtpPort" value="25" />

<add key="SmtpAuth" value="False" />

<add key="SmtpUsername" value="user" />

<add key="SmtpPassword" value="password" />

<add key="UseCustomDataSerializer" value="False" />

</appSettings>

<system.web>

<!--

Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging

symbols into the compiled page. Because this

affects performance, set this value to true only

during development.

Visual Basic options:

Set strict="true" to disallow all data type conversions

where data loss can occur.

Set explicit="true" to force declaration of all variables.

-->

<compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true" />

<pages>

<namespaces>

<clear />

<add namespace="System" />

<add namespace="System.Collections" />

<add namespace="System.Collections.Specialized" />

<add namespace="System.Configuration" />

<add namespace="System.Text" />

<add namespace="System.Text.RegularExpressions" />

<add namespace="System.Web" />

<add namespace="System.Web.Caching" />

<add namespace="System.Web.SessionState" />

<add namespace="System.Web.Security" />

<add namespace="System.Web.Profile" />

<add namespace="System.Web.UI" />

<add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" />

<add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts" />

<add namespace="System.Web.UI.HtmlControls" />

</namespaces>

</pages>

<!--

The <authentication> section enables configuration

of the security authentication mode used by

ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.

-->

<authentication mode="Windows" />

<!--

The <customErrors> section enables configuration

of what to do if/when an unhandled error occurs

during the execution of a request. Specifically,

it enables developers to configure html error pages

to be displayed in place of a error stack trace.

-->

<customErrors mode="Off" defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">

<error statusCode="403" redirect="NoAccess.htm" />

<error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm" />

</customErrors>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Jeff Pagley
Jeff Pagley
Hi Dustin,

The server we were going to use for testing is hosting our forum.  Since we are having a few problems with ES running on this server, I prefer to move ES to other another server we have decided to retired which is running Windows 2003 Server.  This way if something goes wrong with the setup and testing it would not effect one of our production server (i.e. our Forum).  Hopefully making this change will enable everything to go smoothly for setting up and testing ES since it is a Windows 2003 Server without an InstantASP product installed on it.

One thing I do need is for you to reset my license so I can assign the new MAC address to the licenses.

My goal is to get ES up and running in the next couple of days so we can start our testing as soon as possible.

Thank you for your help.

Jeff 

Dustin Taylor
Dustin Taylor
Ok, I've reset the license, so you should be free to move it to your new machine at your convenience.

Thanks!

Dustin

Jeff Pagley
Jeff Pagley
Hi Dustin,

I have setup ES on the Windows 2003 Server using the zip file.  I activated the license file and I have placed it in the \bin directory.

The status.aspx loaded successfully. 

Then I installed Windows 2003 Server Service Pack 2,  SQL Server Express 2005 and Express Management Studio. 

After those installations, I am now getting this error when I attempt to load the status.aspx page:

Server Error in '/ES' Application.

The type [MicroFour.StrataFrame.Data.SqlDataSourceItem, MicroFour StrataFrame Base, Version=1.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=99fe9917f71608a7] could not be resolved.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.TypeLoadException: The type [MicroFour.StrataFrame.Data.SqlDataSourceItem, MicroFour StrataFrame Base, Version=1.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=99fe9917f71608a7] could not be resolved.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[TypeLoadException: The type [MicroFour.StrataFrame.Data.SqlDataSourceItem, MicroFour StrataFrame Base, Version=1.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=99fe9917f71608a7] could not be resolved.]   MicroFour.StrataFrame.Enterprise.Server.RemoteDataSource..cctor() +1017[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'MicroFour.StrataFrame.Enterprise.Server.RemoteDataSource' threw an exception.]   MicroFour.StrataFrame.Enterprise.Server.Status.Status_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) +48   System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +2009852   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +521

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Jeff,

I have no experience with ES but based on the error message, the SF classes may not be updated, make sure you have the latest version 1.7.x

Edhy Rijo

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
I believe the following has to be changed in your datasources.config

<TypeAssemblyVersion>1.6.0.0</TypeAssemblyVersion>

change it to 1.7.0.0

Keith Chisarik

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...