BOM and Windows 8.1

Author
Terry Bottorff
Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just got a new machine with Win 8.1 and I am using VS2013. 
I seem to be able to run VS and Strataframe(Lastest Version) seems to load ok. It does keep asking me about building toolbox but I know I could check don't ask again and that would probably go away. But that is not the real issue.
I was able to create a database using DDT but now I am trying to run the Business Object Mapper and I get the errors found in the attached pictures. 
I am sure it is rights but I am trying to run every thing as an Admin but I don't know about the BOM.
Any advise would be appreciated. TIA.
Attachments
RegistryError.PNG (109 views, 31.00 KB)
RegistryError2.PNG (101 views, 15.00 KB)
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Terry,

You need to run VS as an Administrator.  You may also need to modify the DDT application shortcut to also run as Administrator.

I have been using Windows 8.0 and then 8.1 and that is all it required on my system.

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Windows 8 and 8.1 have been two of the most annoying releases from Microsoft in quite some time.  Makes me long for the days of Windows XP past.  Microsoft is trying to rid their reputation for being an easy target for viruses.  So to do this, even people logged in AS an administrator have limitations when accessing certain components through applications.

Edhy's solution will work, but remember that when you do this you are actually running as a different user within that application that you are within your Windows session.  So you will lose printer mappings, drive mappings, etc.  You can add them back in while logged in as that user, but this is one thing that does get semi- annoying.  It is also good at losing those settings from time to time.

But it WILL resolve most issues regarding security.
Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)
OK now that I have run VS as administrator I seem to be able to run the BOM with no issues. Thanks for forcing me to make sure VS was running as an Admin.
But now I am getting another strange happening. I built a form and added a Business Object to it. Loaded the business object and that all worked good. I put some text boxes on the form and bound them to some of the fields of the BO. Ran the form to see how they looked and then when I went back to add the rest of the fields I get an error found in the ClickBinding picture attached. I don't believe I have ever seen this error before. The fields that are already bound still work but I can not bind any of the remaining fields?
Also, I am getting strange results on the MaintenanceFormToolStrip when I am in design mode. Attached picture. When I run the form they seem to work fine and the text appears correct?????
Also, when I tried deleting the Configuration for the Business Object and reassigning it with the hopes that would fix my problem I got the form that also is attached as a picture.
Thank you for any help you could pass my way.
TIA.
Attachments
ClickBindingField.PNG (113 views, 6.00 KB)
ToolBar.PNG (123 views, 6.00 KB)
StrangeButtons.PNG (105 views, 11.00 KB)
Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
I recreated the form and added all the fields to it at one time and it works fine??????
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Terry,

Glad it is working. 

Edhy Rijo

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Well it worked if I added every field at one time, BUT if I add some fields and then run the form and then go back and try to add more field it DOES NOT WORK.... I get the errors I posed? Any ideas?
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Terry:

Without reproducing the index out of bounds, it is hard to tell you what that could be.  First, make sure that you don't have any query logic in your constructor or something trying to access a database without wrapping it in a test to see if you are in design mode.  I have seen this happen with this message before.

Secondly, I assume that the other two pictures you were referring to had to do with the "#" signs on each side of the text, correct?  This is localization debug mode and shows you all keys that are localized.  You can turn this on and off by setting this property:

MicroFour.StrataFrame.UI.Localization.DebugMode = true;

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Yes the other pictures are dealing with the # signs showing up. I'll try setting that property and let you know. 
Also, I will have to digest what you put in paragraph one. Right now I do not understand but let me chew on it a bit.
TIA.
Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
MicroFour.StrataFrame.UI.Localization.DebugMode = true;

I tried to find the above property but can not. I am not sure how to set it to true or false. I have tried looking at the form properties and the toolstrip properties but to no avail???
TIA.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...