How to reactivate license (Windows 10)

Author
Michel Levy
StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Edhy,

yes, I had issues with SF activation licenses. On my Surface 64, all network hardware is virtualized, and every time I reboot or reconnect, the MAC address of the main network adapter (wifi) is renewed. And of course, it's impossible to modify it (or I've not found how to).

Fortunately, I use HyperV on that machine (for hosting virtual machines for tests), and the virtual network adapter created for HyperV has a persistent MAC address.
Figure that! physical adapter has not persistent mac address, but virtual has BigGrin. Issue solved by using this network "hardware"

I don't know if there issue the same problem occurs with a wired network (RJ45) adapter, but I would advise to transfer your SF ID on some external adapter.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the explanation, virtual MAC, it makes sense SF license could get confused and deactivated.

For now I will not use SF on a virtual environment, just on my main computer, even though I use some VM for testing only.

I'll wait for Ben's test to go ahead and update, my PC, it would be great if I can do it today, but I can wait couple of days if needed.

Edhy Rijo

StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Howdy Michel,

I just learned today that when you have Hyper-V installed on the machine, Microsoft puts a "hypervisor" on the machine that attaches to all of the physical hardware and manages the I/O between all of the pieces.  So, the Hyper-V adapter is actually the MAC address of your adapter.  All of the adapters used by the operating systems you install are all virtual.

Kinda backwards, but that's the way it works.

Ben
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Well, Edhy, I had a different experience than Michel did.  For me, Windows 10 has acted exactly like Window 8 did.  I don't have Hyper-V installed, so I'm not running into any issues there.  I had to cancel the activation client when I installed StrataFrame and re-launch it with "Run as Administrator" from the Start menu after the install was complete.  When I did that, I didn't have any problems downloading and installing the license file.  The DDT and BOMapper are all working, so my license is good to go.  

And now onto finishing the updates to the AddIn for 2015.  
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Ben,

That is a great news.  I will start upgrading my computer in a few, since I will not be re-installing SF until the update for VS2015 is available I will predict that it will work as it is now on Win8.1.

I will post any issues in this thread if something shows up.

Thanks again!!!

Edhy Rijo

Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)
Thanks for the update Ben - looking forward to the VS2015 addin,

Best regards, Andy
Edhy Rijo
E
Hi Ben,

I finally upgraded to Windows 10, it took over 4 hours but everything looks fine except that when opening VS 2014 I am getting the following exception:

Exception
  An error occurred while configuring the StrataFrame design-time data sources.
FileNotFoundException
  Could not load file or assembly 'MicroFour StrataFrame Base, Version=1.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=99fe9917f71608a7' or one of its dependencies.
  The system cannot find the file specified.

Source     :

Stack Trace:

at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Data.ConnectionManager.SetConnections()
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.AddIns.AddInManager.()

Now, just to be clear, I have not re-installed SF, just upgraded from Win8.1Pro to Windows 10 Pro.  Re-installing SF could fix the loading of the assembly issue, I will try that.

Edhy Rijo

Michel Levy
Michel Levy
StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)
Edhy,

I had the same issue, and solved it by GACUTIL all the SF assemblies (upgrade seems to empty the assembly cache, except for the MS core assemblies)
Edhy Rijo
E
Hi Michel,

Thanks for the advice, it worked!!!

For the sake of others, here is the command I used from a batch file executed from an elevated Command Prompt session:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame AddIns.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Inherited UI.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Extensibility.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Infragistics Wrapper.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Security.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame UI Expanded.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame DBEngine.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame UI.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Business.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Base.dll" /f
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" /i "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Lzma.dll" /f

Edhy Rijo

Edhy Rijo
E
Also FYI, my SQL Server 2014 service was stopped after the upgrade, a simple repair of this installation fixed the issues.

So far Windows 10 upgrade has been pretty smooth, I have done several computers, but mine which is the most powerful of all took 4+ hours to complete while other took an average of 1.5 hours.  Obviously mine have more tools and programs than an average computer and that will affect an upgrade.

I use VIPRE antivirus, and the recommendation is to remove any antivirus and then re-install.  I also notice Office 2013 did some quick automatic re-installation the first time I opened. 

So don't panic, these things are expected.

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...