Update Video Training

Author
Ben Hayat
StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)StrataFrame User (412 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I was about to post a thread asking those who have purchased the SFTrain, and whether it's worth it or not. In the past two months, I had sent email to see if there is going to be any new videos on Role Security and to this, I have not gotten any confirmed answers.

I think the SF Team are much suited to develop these videos than third party who does not have as much insight as SF Team.

..ßen
Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
I just purchased Strataframe and purchased Stratatrain at the same time.

I'll be posting a lot on these forums, so I won't try to put everything in one message - just wanted to share some iniitial impressions.

I've been affiliated with Framework builders for ten years or so now. I created the training material, do all the developer training and project mentoring for F1 Technologies in the Visual FoxExpress framework and I personally did the 30 hours of training videos for that product.

So far everything about Strataframe and Microfour has impressed me very much. I am delighted with the decision I've made and look forward to a long and fruitfull realtionship.

I've completed the Stratatrain videos ( just the initially downloaded component ) and I am also impressed. ( I would imagine this was not a third party product so much as a third party distribution or production channel and Microfour is heavily involved in the content )

Obviously, this is a work in progress but my understanding is I have purchased a year's worth of upgrades and I would suspect this year will see substantial additions. I will grant some of the videos are a bit thin right now, but I think the design is great and I am sure, based on the first videos in the set, that the authors fully intend to flesh out this material and add to it substantially.

Having done a lot of this stuff, I can tell you it is very very time consuming to create this kind of content in a thoughtful way and I applaud what I"ve seen so far. As far as it being worth the money - that's a no brainer. Think of it as an ongoing subscription to content that is off to a very good start. I'll only know what I bought a year from now, but I see nothing about anything these guys have done that tells me they are going to come up short or disappoint. BigGrin From a producer's perspective, it is also worth noting that the more of us that contribute to this effort, the more incentive there is to expand this training outlet.

Now for a question - which will reflect my ignorance of .NET.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to hook up the sample code. For example, I unzipped the ParentChildRelationship.zip into projects\Parentchildrelationship maintaing folder structure

( projects is the default VS setup under mydocuments etc - works fine for SF tutorial etc )

I can open the solution in VS 2005 no problem, then when I try to build the solution I get errors saying the referenced component cannot be found ( get this for Business, DBEngine,UI and Base)

Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "MicroFour StrataFrame Business, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=99fe9917f71608a7, processorArchitecture=MSIL". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors

I am a complete .NET idiot, so floundering around I deleted the four references in the two projects in the solution and added to each the 4 references in 1.6

This reduced my build errors from 185 to 6 Smile

Is this something I can fix myself and will I have to do that for all the source code or should I just wait for updated source to be available ?

TIA

Charles Hankey

Oh, and a link to the additional material available now would be much appreciated.

Attachments
ScreenShot081.jpg (136 views, 63.00 KB)
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Hi Charles.

Great to see you here!

I tried to find the .zip file you mentioned, is it something that came with Stratatrain?

You are not talking about the samples installed with the framework, are you? You can see them in your Start Menu, StrataFrame/Samples folder. These ones open fine, with the proper references over here. But soon the SF guys will point you in the right direction.

Are we meeting in Amarillo?

Abraços.

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
Your enthusiastic reports of Strataframe on the UT certainly encouraged me to give it a good look. Glad I did !

I'm talking about the sample code that comes with Stratatrain. I guess the only issue is the checkfieldsecurity methos of the bizobj having changed its param expectations between versions 1.4 and 1.6 Unfortunately I'm sort of a VB idiot so I don't really know what to do to fix that ( or even if I should )

I'm sure its no big deal, probably just needs Stratatrain repackaging the code.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Charles,

Ivan is correct.  The samples with StrataTrain need to have their references updated to version 1.6.  You can do this yourself by cimply removing the 1.4 StrataFrame references and adding the 1.6 back in.  Also, I am going to send you an email that has a download to additional videos that were produced in house.  You get these complimentary videos when purchasing the StrataTrain stuff.

Also, you will find that most every sample you need can be found in the samples that come with StrataFrame.  I recommend going through the sample console and viewing all of the samples, then opening up the source for those samples to see how it is done. Smile

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Yes, I figured out removing and replacing the references - as I said in my message that reduced the errors from 185 to 6 - but the six errors I show in the jpg attached to the message are the part I don't understand.

I like the samples that come with Strataframe and find them very useful, but I'd also like to use the sample code that comes with Statatrain.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Oh...the business objects need to be rebuilt through the BO Mapper.  The BOs in the sample were apparently created before the Role Based Security was added.  It would be easier at this point for you to just look at the samples provided by StrataFrame since these will be all up-to-date.  There is a parent-child relationship sample that comes with the framework.
Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Thanks. I am definitely looking at the strataframe sample. i try the BOMapper in the Stratatrain stuff ...
Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Used the BOMapper to configure the projects and bizobjs - this upped the error count to 82 u:'

( please see attached jpg )

Obviously a lot more is going to need to be done to get these samples to work in 1.6

Since the inclusion of samples that coordinate with the videos was a selling point of Stratatrain I have to assume someone is working on getting the samples in sync with the framework? I will, of course, ask support at Stratatrain, but I thought mentioning to the Microfour would get the info to "them" just as quickly Smile

At very least there should be a disclaimer of some sort on their site or your link to it to make new buyers aware that sample code is " coming soon " so they can decide whether they want to buy now or wait for that product to mature.

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
guess see atttached jpg would mean more if I actually attached a jpg ...
Attachments
ScreenShot082.jpg (139 views, 180.00 KB)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...