BOs have value of Nothing on Page Load

Author
Andrew Harper
StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi,

Suspect I have missed something obvious here but have not been able to find the cause.

I created a SF Web Application project in VS2010 and have created a SF webform based on a master page.

I added the business object definitions to the application base page.

I set the page I created to the "Start Page" for the app. When I run the app and look in the debugger the BOs have a value of "Nothing" in the page load event.  I looked at the sample web application but could locate where the BOs are being instantiated when the application starts.    

If I set the Start Page to Default.Aspx I get an error when I try to run the application:

What am I missing?

TIA,

Andy
Attachments
parse_error.png (78 views, 7.00 KB)
Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)
I created the same project using VS2008 and checked what the generated default.aspx inherits from. In this case 

Inherits="WebApplication13._Default"

I then changed the VS2010 default.aspx to use the same setting and it no longer generates the error and displays correctly.

I have not been able to determine the problem with the BOs defined in ApplicationBasePage.vb not being instantiated when a form loads. The same pages work correctly when copied to VS2008 and recompiled.

Is VS2008 the preferred option for web development at this stage?

Are there any other values that are generated by the Strataframe Web Application template in VS2010 that have to be changed to get it working correctly?

TIA

Andy

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Andrew,

I think that there may be more of a setup issue here in regards to setting up a web project.  Since this could have turned into a really long post, I have created you a sample.  I used the VS2010 C# template and created this sample.  I created a business object project and a web project.  If you look the ApplicationBasePage, you will see how the BO is defined in C#.

This sample uses the StrataFrameSample database and the customers table.  Also, if you run into any issues, let me know and I can give you a beta build.  We will be pushing out a build before long that has a number of fixes, etc.  Including some C# web templates that were being a little argumentative Smile But I don't think that this has anything to do with your current issue.

Let me know.  Thanks.
Attachments
AndrewSample.zip (56 views, 97.00 KB)
Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
Hi Trent,

Thanks for the sample, I will load, test and reply. In all my tests so far  have been using the VB.Net SF Web Application Project template.

Subsequent to my original post I repeated the process in a W7 virtual machine that only had VS2010 and Strataframe freshly installed. My main XP development machine has vs2003, vs2005, vs2008 and vs2010 installed. In the W7 VM the Default.aspx file still had the same issue with the inherits statement but once I had fixed this the solutuon built without error and the BO's were instantiating correctly. I did however have problem with this setup where the microfour assemblies were not visible  in the 'Add Reference' dialogue. I found another post in these forums that solved this issue.

At this stage I will stick to VS2008 as there are no compelling reasons for me to use VS2010.

I appreciate your help,

Best regards,

Andy 
Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
Hi Trent,

I loaded your sample application and ran it under VS2010. I got the same issue with the BO as before unfortunately.

I have attached a screenshot of the debugger display for your reference,

Best regards,

Andy 
Attachments
debug_display.png (65 views, 71.00 KB)
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Wow...I ran this on two different machines and environments.  So this tells me that there is something fishy with your development environment.  I can't imagine the changes that have been made in SF would have an effect on this, but I will do a build and let you have a beta version and see if this resolves the problem.

http://forum.strataframe.net/Uploads/Images/4091e23f-d0e5-4b5f-a738-db17.png
Attachments
Debug.png (90 views, 21.00 KB)
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
You are trying to run an Express version are you?  Also, as an aside, I would definitely go with VS 2010...major enhancements and a far better development environment.  If you are doing new development, you are going to want to start in VS 2010 instead of VS 2008.
Edited 13 Years Ago by Trent L. Taylor
Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
Trent L. Taylor (1/20/2011)
You are trying to run an Express version are you?  Also, as an aside, I would definitely go with VS 2010...major enhancements and a far better development environment.  If you are doing new development, you are going to want to start in VS 2010 instead of VS 2008.

I have the full version of VS2010Pro, installed from MSDN CD. From memory I had vs2003, vs2005 and vs2008 and Strataframe already installed.

I then installed VS2010, uninstalled Strataframe, downloaded the latest version of Strataframe and then reinstalled Strataframe so options would appear in VS2010.

I agree that this would appear to an environmental issue. I could re-install Strataframe and VS2010 and if you think thats worth a shot,

Best regards,

Andy
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Before you do...let me give you a beta SF build just to make sure that there isn't something underlying that I am not thinking about.  Hold on for just a bit Smile
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Still working on that build...sorry for the delay Blush
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...